Minor League Baseball Announces Cancellation of 2020 Season
JACKSON, TN - In a release Tuesday, Minor League Baseball has announced the official cancellation of the 2020 season. The Generals 23rd season of professional baseball, officially scheduled to begin on April 9th, had been temporarily suspended due to concerns surrounding the novel coronavirus.
Minor League Baseball President & CEO Pat O'Conner said in an official statement, "These are unprecedented times for our country and our organization as this is the first time in our history that we've had a summer without Minor League Baseball played. While this is a sad day for many, this announcement removes the uncertainty surrounding the 2020 season and allows our teams to begin planning for an exciting 2021 season of affordable family entertainment."
"Although it's not a surprise, the cancellation of our 2020 season still hurts," said Generals GM Marcus Sabata. "It's unfortunate for our fans, but their health and safety will always be our number one priority. We look forward to the time when this pandemic is behind us and we can all gather together again and enjoy a fun filled night of Generals baseball."
Generals season ticket and flex pack holders seeking refunds are encouraged to call the front office at (731) 988-5299. All flex pack tickets already purchased will be honored for the 2021 season, and season ticket holders who carry their plan to 2021 will receive 20% off concession items all year long. Single-game tickets for the 2020 season can also be refunded in full by calling the front office, Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm.
For more information about the Generals, dial 731.988.5299 or log on to JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com!
The Jackson Generals, a West Tennessee franchise since 1998, are the Double-A minor league affiliate of Major League Baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks. The Generals play at The Ballpark at Jackson, Tennessee's 2017 & 2018 Pro Sports Field of the Year.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from June 30, 2020
- Biscuits 2020 Season Cancelled - Montgomery Biscuits
- Lookouts Lose 2020 Season - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Trash Pandas Inaugural Season to Now Begin in 2021 - Rocket City Trash Pandas
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Cancelled - Biloxi Shuckers
- Minor League Baseball Announces There Will Not be a 2020 Season - Mississippi Braves
- Minor League Baseball Announces Cancellation of 2020 Season - Jackson Generals
- Jumbo Shrimp 2020 Season Canceled - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jackson Generals Stories
- Shadrack's Christmas Light Show Begins at the Ballpark on November 13th
- Generals Unveil Newest Economic Impact Study
- Jerry "The King" Lawler to Host 50th Anniversary Event in Jackson
- Minor League Baseball Announces Cancellation of 2020 Season
- Snoop Dogg and Twista Concert Postponed