Trash Pandas Inaugural Season to Now Begin in 2021
Fans who have waited for professional baseball to return to North Alabama will now have to wait a little longer.
Minor League Baseball announced today the cancellation of the 2020 season, which would have been the historic opening campaign for the Trash Pandas. Instead, 2021 will serve as the inaugural mission for the Double-A affiliate of the Angels.
"Obviously, this is an incredibly disappointing day for our fans, staff, and partners," said team President & CEO Ralph Nelson. "But the health and safety of our families and community is paramount above all else. Baseball has always been part of the healing when our country has come back from tragic times, and I firmly believe the Trash Pandas will help heal North Alabama when we come out on the other side of this pandemic an even stronger community."
The Trash Pandas will soon announce policies and procedures as it relates to tickets purchased for 2020 baseball contests. Fans will not lose any value for the tickets they have already bought.
"These are unprecedented times for our country and our organization as this is the first time in our history that we've had a summer without Minor League Baseball played," said MiLB President & CEO Pat O'Conner. "This announcement removes the uncertainty surrounding the 2020 season and allows our teams to begin planning for an exciting 2021 season of affordable family entertainment."
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from June 30, 2020
- Biscuits 2020 Season Cancelled - Montgomery Biscuits
- Lookouts Lose 2020 Season - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Trash Pandas Inaugural Season to Now Begin in 2021 - Rocket City Trash Pandas
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Cancelled - Biloxi Shuckers
- Minor League Baseball Announces There Will Not be a 2020 Season - Mississippi Braves
- Minor League Baseball Announces Cancellation of 2020 Season - Jackson Generals
- Jumbo Shrimp 2020 Season Canceled - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.