Mill Rats Rebound Big
(Saint John, NB): The Saint John Mill Rats rebounded big, literally and figuratively, beating the Halifax Rainmen 110-101 to tie the best-of-five semifinal 1-1.
The Mill Rats, led by Eric "Air Canada" Crookshank, outrebounded the bigger Rainmen 57-45 for the game. Crookshank's 22 rebounds broke the NBL Canada record for rebounds in a playoff game, previously held by Gabe Freeman of the London Lightning.
Doug Herring Jr's 42 points tonight broke the NBL Canada's single playoff game scoring mark, previously held by Royce Parran of the Quebec Kebs.
"We came out with alot more intensity tonight, the guys really wanted it and got after it defensively," said Mill Rats Head Coach Rob Spon. "It was great to see the fans come out and support the team as well and they got a great show."
Saint John jumped out to a 25-18 first quarter lead. By the half the lead swelled to 50-38. In the second half the Rainmen mounted a brief third quarter challenge, but Saint John built a 25 point fourth quarter advantage at 110-85 with 2 minutes left. With the bench emptied, Halifax managed to score the last 16 points of the game.
Doug Herring Jr led Saint John with 42 points, Anthony Anderson 17, Crookshank 16, Lawrence Wright 15, and Tyrone Levett 12. Chris Matthews led Halifax with 16. The Mill Rats shot 78% from the foul line tonight and were 14-32 from three.
Game 3 is Friday night at the Metro Centre at 7PM AST, and Game 4 is Sunday at 2PM also in Halifax. If necessary Game 5 will be at UNB-Saint John on Saturday March 15th at 7PM.
Tickets for Game 5 are on sale at the at the Harbour Station Box Office by calling 506-657-1234 or visit www.harbourstation.ca to buy online. Seating is limited to 1,000 at UNB-SJ so fans are encouraged to pick them up right away. If Game 3 is not necessary refunds will be issued or applied to the next round.
• Discuss this story on the National Basketball League of Canada message board...
National Basketball League of Canada Stories from March 6, 2014
- A's To Play 2nd Ever Home Playoff Game Saturday - Orangeville A's
- Mill Rats Rebound Big - Saint John Riptide
- Power Turned off as Express Win First Round Series - Mississauga Power
- Express Sweep Quarterfinals - Windsor Express
- Must Win Home Playoff Game Tonight for Mill Rats - Saint John Riptide
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saint John Riptide Stories
- Mayor Darling Adds Interesting "Curl" to March 1st's "Battle of 506"
- Riptide Hand Storm Fifth Straight Loss
- Riptide Look to Make It Four in a Row at Harbour Station Tonight
- Victory over Edge Gives Riptide Three-Game Home Winning Streak
- Riptide Lead Start to Finish in Dominant Win over Storm