Mets Fall 2-1 in 10 Innings at Daytona
DAYTONA, Fla. - The Daytona Tortugas pulled off another shocking comeback win by defeating the St. Lucie Mets 2-1 in 10 innings at Jackie Robinson Ballpark on Wednesday.
The Tortugas scored two runs on a throwing error by Mets first baseman Matt Winaker in the bottom of the 10th win the game. With the bases loaded and one out, Lorenzo Cedrola grounded a ball to Winaker, who attempted the throw home for the force out to keep the Mets in the lead by one run. Winaker's throw was off target to catcher Mitch Ghelfi, allowing the tying run and winning run to score.
Both teams scored their lone run in regulation in the first inning.
The Mets looked in good shape in the top of the 10th when Manny Rodriguez led off the frame with a RBI double to bring home Ghelfi for a 2-1 lead. Unfortunately for the Mets, they were unable to get Rodriguez home for a what would have been a key insurance run.
Mets starter Joe Cavallaro held the Tortugas to one run over 6.1 innings. He limited to Daytona to going 1 for 8 with runners in scoring position.
Daytona starter Mac Sceroler did not give up an earned run over seven innings. He did not walk a batter and struck out eight.
The Mets extended their franchise-record losing streak to 14 games despite having leads in their past four games.
The Mets (67-66, 35-32) and Tortugas (66-67, 31-37) wrap up their series at Jackie Robinson Ballpark on Thursday. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Daytona Rallies Again, Stays in Playoff Hunt with Walk-Off - Daytona Tortugas
- Mets Fall 2-1 in 10 Innings at Daytona - St. Lucie Mets
- McArthur Sharp as Threshers Take Series over Flying Tigers - Clearwater Threshers
- Miracle Drop Pair Of One-Run Games To Jays - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Jupiter Takes One in Doubleheader vs. Tampa - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Wednesday's Stone Crabs-Fire Frogs game postponed - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Fort Myers Miracle Hosting All-You-Can-Eat Sunday Brunch to Close out Regular Season - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Hulsizer Power, Smith Speed Lifts Crabs Past Frogs 4-3 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.