Menke's Five-Point Weekend Earns Her VEDA Player of the Week
Minnesota Whitecaps forward Amy Menke exploded for two goals and three assists this weekend for the Whitecaps, earning her VEDA Player of the Week honors.
In Saturday's game at a sold-out Warrior Ice Arena in Boston, she set up Kendall Coyne Schofield, who got the Whitecaps on the board just 3:25 into the contest. After Boston had taken a 2-1 lead, she knotted the score at two with her first goal of the weekend, an impressive individual effort, as she circled around the zone before firing home. The Pride went on to win, 5-4, as Minnesota's rally fell just short.
Menke helped the Whitecaps bounce back on Sunday with a 4-1 win against the Connecticut Whale with a goal and two assists. She had a pair of helpers in the first period, helping Minnesota jump out to a 3-1 lead in the first 20 minutes. Her second assist of the day came as she slid a pass back to Amanda Boulier on the point, who ripped a slapshot. She then scored her second goal of the weekend in the second period, solidifying the win for the Whitecaps.
Menke played four years at the University of North Dakota, racking up 50 goals and 58 assists in 146 games played. She suited up for the Whitecaps last season before they joined the NWHL, and then played for Djurgårdens IF of the SDHL in Sweden. In nine games with the club, she finished with five goals and three assists. She currently has seven points (4-3-7) in her first NWHL season.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Hockey League message board...
National Women's Hockey League Stories from January 14, 2019
- Menke's Five-Point Weekend Earns Her VEDA Player of the Week - Minnesota Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Whitecaps Stories
- NWHL Names Minnesota Whitecaps Fans the VEDA Stars of the Week
- Whitecaps Complete Weekend Sweep of Connecticut
- Menke's Five-Point Weekend Earns Her VEDA Player of the Week
- Whitecaps Get Back in Win Column with 4-1 Victory over Whale
- Stecklein's Late Goal Propels Whitecaps to Win over Beauts at KeyBank Center