Memphis Express Daily Update - Monday
- The Express took the field at 9:30 am CT on Monday at Cornerstone Christian School.
- The Express went through two hours of padless practice installing offense and defense, did 7-on-7 work, then wrapped with 11-on-11 drills.
- During 11-on-11, WR Jonathan Ray (Memphis) enjoyed a sequence of back-to-back chunk plays. Ray connected with QB Troy Cook (UT-Martin) on a hook for a first down. On the next snap, Ray turned the corner on a nifty reverse.
- QB Brandon Silvers (Troy) stood out on the second day of practice. Silvers drew cheers from the sideline by locating TE Brett Thompson (UT-Martin) on a deep out to the left side. Silvers racked up another deep completion by targeting TE Luke Papilion (Sioux Falls) on a post.
- CB Jeremy Cutrer (MTSU) turned heads by breaking up multiple passes Monday morning. LB DeMarquis Gates (Ole Miss) batted down a pass along the left sideline drawing praise from teammates and coaches.
- WR Kayaune Ross (Kentucky) secured the longest gain of the day on a back shoulder throw by QB Christian Hackenberg (Penn State) up the right sideline.
- Head Coach Mike Singletary on the energy of day two: "We built on what we did the first day. That's what we want to do. We don't want the highs and lows. We want to come out and have consistency from one practice to the next. I think we got a little better today. As long as we continue to do that I think we're good."
- Head Coach Mike Singletary on the 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 portions of practice: "I saw good competition. I want to continue to see those guys compete against one another even without the pads. They can tell more than anybody else, but it's really good to see the competition amongst them."
- Head Coach Mike Singletary on the progress seen through two days: "As coaches, we never feel like the team's learning fast enough, but we'll get there. I think the kids have a great attitude and we're working our tails off to hurry up and install everything. Every training camp in America is hurried, but at the same time I feel very confident that each day, practice, and meeting we're getting better."
- WR Pig Howard (Tennessee) on the mood of day two: "We're seeing a lot of energy, lots of communication. Coaches are getting after us each and every day, not letting off, which is good. I think everyone is progressing every single day."
- WR Pig Howard (Tennessee) on working together with teammates to get better: "Offense feeds off defense, defense feeds off offense when it comes to this game. We're here to get each other better. Energy is contagious. When you love the game like the others around you, it's easy to build chemistry. So that's what we're doing."
- WR Pig Howard (Tennessee) on how he wants to improve: "I want to continue to lead. Learning the outside as well, since there may come a time in game situations where we have to move around. Mastering all positions, continuing to pick the slack up, and becoming an all-around leader."
Images from this story
Dale Warren and Chris Santini at Memphis Express practice
Chris Weather of the Memphis Express
At Memphis Express practice, Troy Cook talks with Ryan Timmons
• Discuss this story on the Alliance of American Football message board...
Alliance of American Football Stories from January 7, 2019
- SD Fleet Daily Update - San Diego Fleet
- Memphis Express Daily Update - Monday - Memphis Express
- January 7, 2019 - Orlando Apollos Daily Update - Orlando Apollos
- San Antonio Commanders Announce ESPN San Antonio 1250 AM/94.5 FM as Official Radio Partner - San Antonio Commanders
- Arizona Hotshots Daily Update: Monday, January 7, 2019 - Arizona Hotshots
- San Antonio Commanders Daily Update for Monday, January 7, 2019 - San Antonio Commanders
- Salt Lake Stallions Daily Update - Salt Lake Stallions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.