McLeod signs with Freedom
BOYDS, Md. (April 16) - The Washington Freedom announced today goalkeeper Erin McLeod has signed with the club.
A post-International Draft discovery claim for the Freedom, McLeod previously led the Vancouver Whitecaps to W-League championships in 2004 and 2006 and was the starting goalkeeper for the Canadian Women's National Team at the 2007 FIFA Women's World Cup and 2008 Beijing Olympics. McLeod has 51 caps for the national team and is coming back from an ACL injury suffered at the 2008 Olympics.
"The signing of Erin McLeod is a great step for the team," Freedom Head Coach Jim Gabarra said. "This gives us one of the best groups of goalkeepers in the world. We are happy that Erin was able to sign and join the team at this time."
McLeod is expected to join the team as soon as her visa is finalized and will fill the roster spot made available by Sarah Huffman's season-ending ACL injury.
Has 51 caps for the Canadian women's national team and was the starter for Canada for the 2007 FIFA Women's World Cup and 2008 Olympic Games.
Helped the Vancouver Whitecaps win the W-League championship in 2004 and 2006.
Helped Penn State reach the NCAA Final Four in 2005.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from April 16, 2009
- McLeod signs with Freedom - magicJack
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent magicJack Stories
- Washington Freedom Announces Sonia Bompastor's Mutual Contract Termination
- Jim Gabarra Resigns as Head Coach of Washington Freedom
- Washington Freedom's 2010 WPS Playoff Run Ends with Overtime Goal
- Washington Freedom Travel to Face Philadelphia Independence in First Round of Playoffs
- Washington Freedom Defeat Atlanta Beat 1-0 To Advance To WPS Playoffs