Marshals Drop Doubleheader to Cane Cutters
The Acadiana Cane Cutters swept a doubleheader from the Texas Marshals in Dallas on Wednesday night at Jesuit College Preparatory School of Dallas. In game one, Cane Cutter's starting pitcher Nick Johnson outdueled Marshal's starter Austin Hilton as the Cane Cutters shutout the Marshals 1-0. Johnson allowed just five hits in six shutout innings with five strikeouts. Alec Sanchez pitched a perfect seventh inning to earn the save.
Hilton allowed a solo home run to Cane Cutter's first baseman Taylor Walker with two outs in the top of the first inning. After that, Hilton was on cruise control as he posted six straight shutout innings. Hilton pitched a complete game and allowed just one run on four hits with eight strikeouts, but took the hard-luck loss.
Carlos Contreras led the Marshals offensively in game one as he went 2-for-3 with two doubles.
In game two, the Marshals jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second inning as Jace Reese reached base on an error and came into score on an RBI single by Daniel Rushing.
The Cane Cutters took the lead with two runs in the top of the third off of Marshals starting pitcher Chad Nelson.
Lucas Quary smashed a solo home run to left field in the top of the sixth inning to extend the Cane Cutters lead to 3-1. The Marshals got the run back in the bottom of the frame as Chase Daughdrill scored on an error by the Cane Cutter's third baseman.
The Cane Cutters picked up an insurance run in the top of the seventh on a Marshal's error. Scott Ashford retired the Marshals in order in the bottom of the seventh to earn the save and preserve the Cane Cutter's 4-2 victory.
With the two wins, the Cane Cutters improve to 8-4 on the season. The Marshals fall to 3-9. The Marshals start a four-game road trip on Thursday night in Brazos Valley as they take on the Bombers for the first time this season. The Marshals and Cane Cutters will play another doubleheader in Dallas next Wednesday.
• Discuss this story on the Texas Collegiate League message board...
Texas Collegiate League Stories from June 12, 2014
- Bombers Win In Walk-off Fashion against Marshals on "World Cup Night" - Brazos Valley Bombers
- Cane Cutters Continue Winning Streak - Acadiana Cane Cutters
- Pump Jacks Halted by Generals - East Texas PumpJacks
- Pump Jacks Take Generals to Extra Innings - East Texas PumpJacks
- Cane Cutters, AMPOL, Acadiana Dodge, and Frank's International to Honor Military on June 14 - Acadiana Cane Cutters
- Marshals Drop Doubleheader to Cane Cutters - Texas Marshals
- Generals Top Pump Jacks 9-3 to Sweep the Two Game Series - Victoria Generals
- Acadiana takes pair of games from Texas - Acadiana Cane Cutters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.