Mallards Eliminated from Playoffs
Madison, Wis. - The Madison Mallards (20-15, 48-23) saw their season come to an end on Monday night at the Duck Pond, falling to the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders (18-17, 39-30) 17-5 in the first round of the 2018 Northwoods League Playoffs. The Dock Spiders incredible 18-hit performance overpowered the Mallards and propelled them to the next round of the Postseason. Despite the elimination, the Mallards posted a record-breaking 2018 campaign, winning a franchise-best 49 wins and boasted a number of individual accomplishments.
The Dock Spiders began the game on a tear, scoring runs in each of the first three innings. By the top of the third, Fond du Lac led 7-0 after a three-run bomb by Alex Erro. Erro ended with three hits and five RBI in the Fond du Lac blowout victory.
Trailing 8-1 heading into the bottom of the fifth, the Mallards pulled back into striking distance with a three run frame. David Vinsky (Northwood) crushed a two-out double into the left centerfield gap that sent in the three runs and gave the Mallards sense of hope. With four innings to play, the Mallards were trailing 8-4.
However, the Dock Spiders responded with a giant inning, pushing across seven runs in the top of the sixth to diminish the Mallards hopes of staying alive. Erro knocked in two with a double and Mitch Boe and Braden Stutzman also collected RBI. Fond du Lac ended up holding a 15-4 lead after six innings.
- Infielder David Vinsky collected three RBI on his double in the fifth inning and finished the evening 2-for-4 with a walk.
- Shortstop Garrett Kueber(Austin Peay) knocked in two runs on a pair of knocks, finishing the night 2-for-5 at the plate.
- CatcherJesse Forestell (Western Michigan) tallied a pair of knocks and reached on a hit by pitch, finishing 2-for-4 on the night.
With the 2018 season coming to a close, check back to mallardsbaseball.com for end of the season coverage and insight on the Mallards historic summer. As the summer winds down, look forward to another great season of baseball at the Duck Pond in 2019.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 13, 2018
- Mallards Eliminated from Playoffs - Madison Mallards
- Five Mallards Named Postseason All-Stars - Madison Mallards
- Mallards Enter Postseason Play Tonight - Madison Mallards
- Three Woodchucks Receive Postseason Honors - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- 2018 Northwoods League Playoffs Begin Tonight - Northwoods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.