Lyles and Young relieved of coaching duties
The Grand Rapids Rampage have relieved assistant head coach Robert Lyles and defensive coordinator Brian Young of their duties with the team, head coach Sparky McEwen announced on Monday.
As the head coach, I am ultimately responsible for all facets of our team. Our offensive unit is coming along nicely and you should win games when youre averaging 52 points a game in this league, said McEwen. Every team averaging that many points in the AFL this season has a winning record except for us and thats unacceptable. A change needed to be made.
Lyles and Young led the Rampages defensive and special teams units through the teams first seven games, however, Grand Rapids ranks last in the AFL in points allowed by nearly seven points per game (64.3), last in touchdowns allowed (63), last in takeaways (six), last in opponent passer rating (129.7), 16th out of 17 teams in defensive interceptions (three), 16th in red zone defense (90.0%), 15th in total defense (300.0 yards per game) and 14th in pass defense (282.3 yards per game).
On the flipside, the Rampage offense is near the top of the AFL in most of these categories (aside from passing offense since they are tops in rushing offense). Grand Rapids special team unit has given up four touchdowns and a league-worst 992 yards on kickoffs, including 235 yards and two scores last week by San Joses Rashied Davis.
The coaching staff will reshuffle its responsibilities, including those of defensive and special teams play calling.
Grand Rapids (1-6) travels to Philadelphia this Saturday, March 26 to take on the Soul (3-5) at 7:00pm. The game can be seen live on Fox Sports Detroit.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from March 21, 2005
- Soul answer the bell with upset win - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- The OSC interview: Philadelphia Soul kicker Tim Seder - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Rattlers Snakebit in the Snake Pit 66-63 - OSC Original by Andrew Nordmeier
- Nashville Kats game notes - Nashville Kats
- VooDoo players to rehabilitate elderly womans home as part of Rebuilding Together program - New Orleans VooDoo
- Kats Add Semptimphelter As Quarterbacks Coach - Nashville Kats
- Palm Girls to attend Industry Night when Gladiators host SaberCats - Las Vegas Gladiators
- Lyles and Young relieved of coaching duties - Grand Rapids Rampage
- Interceptions Propel Crush to 52-37 Win - Colorado Crush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Rampage Stories
- Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz Hold Open Player Tryout in Grand Rapids
- Former Rampage Player Leif Murphy Back with the IFL's Storm
- Rage Dance Team Pom & Dance Challenge
- Rage Dance Team to Perform at Davenport Basketball Games
- AFL Suspends 2009 Season; Rampage Prepare for Future