Lumberjacks on Brink of Elimination After 4-1 Loss in Game Three
GENEVA, IL - The Muskegon Lumberjacks fell to the Chicago Steel in game three of the Eastern Conference Final, pushing them to the brink of elimination in the best-of-five series.
Steel forward Robert Mastrosimone scored three minutes into the game and the Steel would never trail in the 4-1 victory. Chicago now holds a 2-1 series lead.
Muskegon tied the game briefly when Nolan Sullivan scored two minutes into the second, but Chicago capitalized on a 5-on-3 power play to regain the lead 3:34 into the second. From there, Chicago would not look back, adding a shorthanded goal courtesy of Mastrosimone to capture a 3-1 lead after two.
In the third, Neil Shea tallied 1:34 into the frame to take the Chicago lead to 4-1, and Chicago's defense held that three-goal advantage for the remainder of the contest. Muskegon head coach Mike Hamilton pulled his netminder with three minutes to play, but the Jacks couldn't break through.
Game four, a must-win for Muskegon, is scheduled for Saturday night at 8:05pm at Fox Valley Ice Arena. With a win, Chicago would advance to its second Clark Cup Final in three years.
Brandon Bussi started in net for the Jacks, making 23 saves on 27 Chicago shots.
Muskegon outshot Chicago 36-27, and have yet to be outshot in the playoffs. However, Steel goalie Justin Robbins turned away 35 of those shots in the win.
Should Muskegon win tomorrow, they will force a decisive game five back on home ice. The if necessary game is scheduled for Monday at LC Walker arena. Puck drop would be 7:15pm.
Muskegon goal: Sullivan (2)
Muskegon assist: Cam McDonald (2)
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from May 3, 2019
- Stampede Sweep Storm to Reach Clark Cup Final - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Lumberjacks on Brink of Elimination After 4-1 Loss in Game Three - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Gameday Preview: Western Conference Final Shifts to Sioux Falls, SD for Game #3 - Tri-City Storm
- Youngstown Phantoms Sign Davis Codd to Tender - USHL
- Phantoms Sign Forward Davis Codd to USHL Tender - Youngstown Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Muskegon Lumberjacks Stories
- Muskegon Lumberjacks Select Five Players in USHL Dispersal Draft
- For the Love of the Game: Lumberjacks Will Keep Commitment to Players
- Jacks Add Forward Tresca, Defensman Procious
- Lumberjacks Excited to Have Veteran Staff Entering '20-'21
- Lumberjacks Make Official Statement on Upcoming 2020-21 Season