Lowell takes down Connecticut
NORWICH, CT- Garrett Benge went five-for-five, just a home run short of a cycle, as Lowell pounded out 17 hits and rolled over Connecticut 10-3, at Dodd Stadium Monday night. Benge was in the middle of two four-run innings for the Spinners, with an RBI double in the first and a two-run triple in the fifth. In all, the third baseman finished with three singles, a double,a triple, and five runs batted in.
Trailing 10-0 in the eighth, the Tigers strung together singles by Cole Peterson, Luke Burch and Garrett McCain to get on the board. Jordan Pearce then stroked a two-run double to close out the scoring.
Enmanuel DeJesus threw 5 1/3 innings of shutout ball to get the win, while Jose Vasquez was reached for eight runs in four innings to take the loss for Connecticut.
Red Sox third-round pick Brett Netzer went 3-5, with three runs scored, while Burch, McCain, Pearce and Colby Bortles all had two-hit nights for the Tigers.
Matt Manning takes the mound in the series wrap Tuesday night at 7:05 at Dodd Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 1, 2017
- Spikes Fall to Doubledays in Tuesday Matinee - State College Spikes
- Cyclones Snap Skid with Win - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Tri-City Lake Monsters - Vermont Lake Monsters
- A Walk-Off Walk Secures Win - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Spikes Roll to Win over Doubledays on Monday Night - State College Spikes
- Tri-City goes 10 innings with Lake Monsters - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Lowell takes down Connecticut - Connecticut Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.