Louisville Lightning Announce New 2011-2012 Game Schedule
LOUISVILLE, KY (October 17, 2011) -- The Professional Arena Soccer League (PASL) released the official 2011-2012 schedule over the weekend. Twelve teams, divided into Eastern and Western Divisions will start the season Friday, November 4. The Louisville Lightning will begin their quest for the PASL Championship with an away game against the Ohio Vortex on Sunday, November 6, and a home game on Friday, November 18. All Lightning home games will be played at Mockingbird Valley Sports Complex on Friday evenings at 7:30 pm except for one Saturday game on January 7.
The highly anticipated league schedule was delayed in part to several last minute changes during the offseason. Most notably, the Eastern and Western Divisions grew from four to six teams each. Two new teams, the Kansas Magic and Illinois Piasa, will matchup along with the Lightning, Ohio Vortex, Detroit Waza, and Cincinnati Kings in the East. Out West, the Anaheim Bolts, Phoenix Monsoon, and Turlock Express join the Tacoma Stars, San Diego Sockers, and Revolucion Tijuana.
This year's schedule for the Lightning seems more favorable than last, when early season competition placed the Lightning against the top two teams in the league during the first 5 out of 10 games. Fans will have the chance to see at least two new professional teams in action, the Kansas Magic and Illinois Piasa. One more new team may also appear after this weekend's first round US Open Cup Tournament in Evansville. The Lightning will face the winner of the qualifying tournament on Friday, December 9.
"We pushed really hard for this schedule," says Lightning General Manager, Nick Stover. "We attempted to avoid conflict with any UofL basketball games or other major events in town and our travel schedule will give our team a chance to earn valuable points on the road. Soccer fans across the city should come out on Friday nights to enjoy high energy, fast paced, family friendly action all winter long."
Lightning fans will enjoy a lot of new promotions, giveaway items, and entertainment this year. A full promotions schedule including soccer scarves, white-out and black-out night shirts, and noisemakers will be announced in the coming weeks. The Lightning will play three home games prior to the holiday break and three more in both January and February. Season ticket packages are on sale now. Fans should visit www.louisvillelightning.com for more information about the team and season.
• Discuss this story on the Professional Arena Soccer League message board...
Professional Arena Soccer League Stories from October 17, 2011
- PASL Announces 2011/12 Schedule, Playoff Format, Sleeker Nickname - PASL
- Louisville Lightning Announce New 2011-2012 Game Schedule - Louisville Lightning
- Cincinnati Kings Release 2011-2012 Schedule - Cincinnati Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville Lightning Stories
- Lightning's Hot Air Balloon Returns to the US Bank Kentucky Derby Festival Great Balloon Fest This W
- Louisville Lightning fall 9-5 to Kansas Magic in PASL playoff opener
- Louisville Lightning host first PASL playoff game in franchise history Friday night
- Lightning Lose Game, Division Title, to Detroit, 9-8
- Louisville Lightning Battle for First Place and BLACK-OUT' the Detroit Waza Friday Night