Louisville Lightning fall 9-5 to Kansas Magic in PASL playoff opener
LOUISVILLE, KY (March 2, 2012) -- The Louisville Lightning fell in their first-ever PASL playoff game in Louisville, dropping a 9-5 decision to the Kansas Magic Friday night. Matt Germain led the way for the visitors, scoring a hat trick en route to the victory.
Former Houston Dynamo player John Michael Hayden connected on two penalty kicks for the Lightning Friday, but it wasn't enough as they fell 9-5. For the Kansas Magic, it was their first win over the Lightning in four attempts this season.
The Lightning fell behind 2-0 Friday to the Magic and never recovered despite a number of opportunities. Louisville outshot the visitors from Kansas 29 to 27 on the night but couldn't capitalize on their chances.
Adam Boyer scored two goals for the Lightning, including two pivotal goals in the second and third periods to lead the Lightning charge. After falling behind early, John Michael Hayden's first goal cut the lead to 2-1 in the second period.
The Magic built a 6-2 lead by the end of the second quarter, finding goals from four different players during that stretch. Louisville would score two goals in the third period and cut the lead to two, but the Kansas defense held firm in the final period to get the win.
"We missed a lot of opportunities tonight," said Coach Scott Budnick after the game. "We just didn't capitalize, and the Magic executed their game plan very well. We'll build on this season as we get ready for the offseason," Budnick stated.
• Discuss this story on the Professional Arena Soccer League message board...
Professional Arena Soccer League Stories from March 2, 2012
- Louisville Lightning fall 9-5 to Kansas Magic in PASL playoff opener - Louisville Lightning
- Louisville Lightning host first PASL playoff game in franchise history Friday night - Louisville Lightning
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville Lightning Stories
- Lightning's Hot Air Balloon Returns to the US Bank Kentucky Derby Festival Great Balloon Fest This W
- Louisville Lightning fall 9-5 to Kansas Magic in PASL playoff opener
- Louisville Lightning host first PASL playoff game in franchise history Friday night
- Lightning Lose Game, Division Title, to Detroit, 9-8
- Louisville Lightning Battle for First Place and BLACK-OUT' the Detroit Waza Friday Night