Lisa Martinson Returns to Defend Isobel Cup with Whitecaps
Minnesota native Lisa Martinson has re-signed with the defending Isobel Cup champion Minnesota Whitecaps for the team's second NWHL season.
"It's an honor to be part of such a dedicated and talented group of players," said Martinson. "Being a Whitecap and having the platform to help grow women's hockey in my home state in the NWHL is a really exciting opportunity."
A member of the team prior to its entrance into the NWHL last season, Martinson has become a mainstay in Minnesota, playing in the State of Hockey for high school, college and the pros.
"We're very happy to have Lisa Martinson back for another season," said Whitecaps co-head coach Jack Brodt. "She is a steady defender on our blue line. We are sure Lisa will add to the Whitecaps' run for a second Isobel Cup."
Martinson joined the Whitecaps after a successful career at St. Cloud State. She played 126 games, posting 19 points (7-12-19) from the Huskies' blue line and was named Most Improved after her freshman season.
"Lisa brings a sense of composure to the ice," said Whitecaps co-head coach Ronda Engelhardt. "She keeps it simple and makes the right plays."
Martinson was also an MVP and team captain at St. Louis Park High School.
"The support we received from Minnesota fans was amazing," she said. "Being able to play in front of a packed house at TRIA Rink made this past season unforgettable. I plan to continue pushing myself and my teammates to elevate our game so we can battle to bring the Isobel Cup back home to Minnesota."
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Hockey League message board...
National Women's Hockey League Stories from June 26, 2019
- Lisa Martinson Returns to Defend Isobel Cup with Whitecaps - Minnesota Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Whitecaps Stories
- Whitecaps to Face University of Minnesota Duluth on September 28
- Minnesota Whitecaps Face University of Minnesota on September 22
- Lisa Martinson Returns to Defend Isobel Cup with Whitecaps
- Defender of the Year Finalist Amanda Boulier Signs Deal to Return to Minnesota Whitecaps
- Nicole Schammel - Kazmaier Award Finalist and U. of Minnesota Leading Scorer - Joins the Whitecaps