Lions Fall 3-0 in Montreal
MONTREAL - In the fourth match of a five-match road trip, Orlando City SC (6-8-1, 19 points) fell 3-0 to the Montreal Impact (5-11-0, 15 points) on Wednesday at Stade Saputo.
"I hope [the level of urgency] is sky high. It doesn't get more urgent for me. We've made that very clear," Lions head coach Jason Kreis said. "We did not go into this game saying this was just a regular season game. We told our players this was a massive match and we one thousand percent need three points. We don't get it. We deal with it. We need to respond the right way. We have a massive Open Cup game a week from tonight, which we need to win."
Tony Rocha made his third MLS start of 2018 alongside Amro Tarek, captain Jonathan Spector, who made his first MLS start since April 8, and RJ Allen. Uri Rosell and Cristian Higuita started in the midfield with Justin Meram, Sacha Kljestan and Josué Colmán. Forward Dom Dwyer made his first start since May 13. Jose Villarreal came on for Higuita in the 57th minute, Mueller for Colmán in the 68th and Pinho for Meram two minutes later.
Ignacio Piatti opened the scoring from the penalty spot in the fifth minute.
Montreal made it 2-0 in the 55th minute when Daniel Lovitz fired a cross into the box that bounced off Tarek and went in.
Piatti scored again in stoppage time.
The Lions had several good opportunities at goal, including an attempted bicycle kick by Dwyer and a shot by Colmán. Rosell's shot in the 78th minute deflected off Pinho in front of the goal but somehow Montreal goalkeeper Evan Bush was able to keep it out.
The road trip concludes on Wednesday, June 20, when City visits D.C. United in the U.S. Open Cup Round of 16. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. ET. The Lions return to Orlando City Stadium on June 23 against Montreal.
Tickets to all City home matches are available at OrlandoCitySC.com or by calling 855-ORL-CITY.
D Jonathan Spector made his first MLS start since April 8 vs. Portland
F Dom Dwyer made his first start since May 13 vs. Atlanta.
M Tony Rocha made his fourth start in his last five matches across all competitions. Rocha lined up at left back.
M Jose Villarreal made his third appearance of 2018 across all competitions when he came on for M Cristian Higuita in the 57th minute.
Teams 1 2 F
Montreal Impact 1 2 3
Orlando City SC 0 0 0
MTL - Ignacio Piatti (PK) 5'
MTL - Amro Tarek (OG) 55'
MTL - Ignacio Piatti (Saphir Taider, Daniel Lovitz) 90+2'
ORL - Dom Dwyer (Yellow Card) 17'
ORL - Cristian Higuita (Yellow Card) 19'
ORL - Uri Rosell (Yellow Card) 49'
Montreal Impact - GK Evan Bush, D Daniel Lovitz, Rudy Camacho, Rod Fanni, Chris Duvall, M Saphir Taider, Samuel Piette, Ignacio Piatti, Jeisson Vargas (Ken Krolicki 33'), Raheem Edwards (Alejandro Silva 62'), F Matteo Mancosu (Jukka Raitala 82')
Substitutes Not Used: GK Clément Diop, M Marco Donadel, F Anthony Jackson-Hamel, Michael Salazar
Orlando City SC - GK Joe Bendik, D Tony Rocha, Amro Tarek, Jonathan Spector, RJ Allen, M Uri Rosell, Cristian Higuita (Jose Villarreal 57'), Justin Meram (Stéfano Pinho 70'), Sacha Kljestan, Josué Colmán (Chris Mueller 68'), F Dom Dwyer
Substitutes Not Used: GK Earl Edwards, Jr., D Chris Schuler, Donny Toia, M Dillon Powers
Details of the Game:
Time: 7:30 p.m. ET
Date: June 18, 2018
MTL - 43.3 %
ORL - 56.7 %
MTL - 11
ORL - 11
MTL - 3
ORL - 2
MTL - 12
ORL - 9
MTL - 4
ORL - 5
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 13, 2018
- BWP's 10th Goal of the Season Helps New York Defeat Seattle - New York Red Bulls
- Lions Fall 3-0 in Montreal - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Atlanta United FC Tomorrow in An Eastern Conference Battle - Columbus Crew SC
- Statement from Brian Bilello, President of the New England Revolution and President of Boston Soccer 2026 - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake & Utah Sports Commission Congratulate United 2026 for FIFA World Cup Award - Real Salt Lake
- Tickets Now Available for U.S. Open Cup Match against Sacramento Republic FC on June 20 - Los Angeles FC
- United Bid Selected to Host the 2026 FIFA World Cup - LA Galaxy
- United Bid Selected to Host the 2026 FIFA World Cup - San Jose Earthquakes
- United Bid Selected To Host The 2026 FIFA World Cup - Orlando City SC
- Statement from Colorado Rapids, Stadium Management Company & Denver Sports Commission - Colorado Rapids
- United Bid Selected to Host the 2026 FIFA World Cup - Sporting Kansas City
- United Bid Selected to Host the 2026 FIFA World Cup - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Pareja Shifts Focus to Loons After LAFC Triumph
- Lions' Mentality on Full Display in Quarterfinal Win
- Orlando City SC Forward Dom Dwyer Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery
- City vs. LAFC: a Look into the Numbers
- Orlando City Advances to MLS Is Back Semifinals, Defeats LAFC in Penalty Shootout