LEGENDS RISE ABOVE THE STARS
SALT LAKE CITY, UT -The Texas Legends (12-10) started 2018 off with a win, taking down the Salt Lake City Stars (3-21) 115-109 Tuesday night in Utah.
The two teams exchanged baskets through the first six minutes before Texas took control and went on a 12-2 run. Salt Lake City kept the gap to single-digits but faced a 7-point deficit heading into the second, drowned by a 14-point performance by Texas' Justin Dentmon. Texas took their largest lead of the night (+13) in the second, but the home team pulled within five at the break.
The Stars jumped back into the driver's seat in the third, taking the lead four times and holding onto an 88-87 edge at the buzzer. Salt Lake City was up by one with 7:36 to play but Texas answered with a 10-2 run to pull out of reach.
Dentmon used his final 12 minutes to add another 12 points to his total, leading all scorers with 35 on the night to go with 5 rebounds, 6 assists, and 3 steals for the Legends.
Mavericks two-way player Johnathan Motley added a game-high 11 rebounds with his 21 points, 3 blocks, and Jameel Warney grabbed his 11th double-double of the season adding 12 points, 10 rebounds. Wade Baldwin IV added 18 points and Jalen Jones rounded off the double-digit scorers with 12 points, 9 rebounds.
The Stars were led in nearly every category by Taylor Braun with 24 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals. Michael Qualls came off the bench to contribute 23 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, and Naz Mitrou-Long finished with 21 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists.
The Legends return home Saturday to host the Iowa Wolves at 7:30pm CT.
For tickets or information visit www.TexLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 3, 2018
- Bighorns to Host Shoe Drive to Benefit Boys and Girls Club - Reno Bighorns
- San Antonio Recalls Derrick White from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- LEGENDS RISE ABOVE THE STARS - Texas Legends
- BIGHORNS GET SIXTH STRAIGHT WIN AGAINST MEMPHIS - Reno Bighorns
- Vipers Fall to Suns in First Game of the New Year - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- DREW II LEADS SKYFORCE PAST LAKERS - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- MORRIS, DRIVE TOO MUCH FOR KNICKS - Grand Rapids Drive
- Skyforce Acquire Matt Williams Jr. - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- CAVALIERS ASSIGN ANTE ZIZIC TO CANTON CHARGE - Canton Charge
- SAN ANTONIO ASSIGNS DERRICK WHITE TO AUSTIN SPURS - Austin Spurs
- Blue Top Skyforce on New Year's Eve - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Red Claws Ring in New Year with Win over Magic - Maine Red Claws
- LEMON, ANTS HOLD OFF DRIVE - Grand Rapids Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Legends Stories
- Mavericks Sign Daryl Macon to Two-Way Contract
- Legends Launch Mission of the Month Program with Legacy Plumbing
- Mavericks Sign Kostas Antetokounmpo to Two-Way Contract; Waive Jalen Jones
- Legends Take Business and Basketball to a New Level in 2017-18 Season
- Brandon Ashley Invited to 2018 NBA G League Elite Mini Camp