Blue Top Skyforce on New Year's Eve
SIOUX FALLS, SD - The Sioux Falls Skyforce (9-13) led early, but the Oklahoma City Blue (12-10) controlled the final three periods on their way to a 115-108 victory on Sunday night at the Sanford Pentagon.
After trailing by as many as 11 points in the fourth quarter, the Skyforce cut the deficit to just two points, trailing 102-104 with 2:23 left in the game, but a Daniel Hamilton (16 points, 15 rebounds and 10 assists) three-pointer pushed the Blue lead to five, and the visitors never looked back.
Tony Mitchell (30 points and eight rebounds) scored a game-high 30 points to lead the way for the Skyforce, but shot just 10-of-27 from the field in the loss. Ike Nwamu (26 points and eight assists) scored 20-or-more points for the fourth game in a row, and matched a career-high with eight made three-pointers for Sioux Falls. Nwamu's eight assists were also good enough for a new career-high.
Hamilton's triple-double was accompanied by a pair of 23-point performances from Markel Brown and Myke Henry, while Mike Cobbins tallied 12 points and 10 rebounds in the win for Oklahoma City. Bryce Alford (15 points) knocked down four three-pointers off the bench, including a momentum-shifting four-point play while Rashawn Thomas added 15 points in what was a well-rounded win for the Blue.
The Blue outscored the Skyforce 52-22 in the paint, and held a 42-23 advantage in fast break points as well. The Skyforce came one three-pointer shy of a franchise record, making a season-high 22-of-54 three-point attempts in the contest to keep within striking distance, but ultimately came up short.
Alonzo Gee tallied 17 points on 6-of-8 from the field, while Larry Drew II recorded 16 points, nine assists and six rebounds to round out the double-figure scoring for the Skyforce.
Sioux Falls now has an opportunity to start 2018 on a high note, staying on their home floor to face the South Bay Lakers on Tuesday, January 2 in what will be the fifth and final game of their recent five-game home stand.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 3, 2018
- Bighorns to Host Shoe Drive to Benefit Boys and Girls Club - Reno Bighorns
- San Antonio Recalls Derrick White from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- LEGENDS RISE ABOVE THE STARS - Texas Legends
- BIGHORNS GET SIXTH STRAIGHT WIN AGAINST MEMPHIS - Reno Bighorns
- Vipers Fall to Suns in First Game of the New Year - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- DREW II LEADS SKYFORCE PAST LAKERS - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- MORRIS, DRIVE TOO MUCH FOR KNICKS - Grand Rapids Drive
- Skyforce Acquire Matt Williams Jr. - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- CAVALIERS ASSIGN ANTE ZIZIC TO CANTON CHARGE - Canton Charge
- SAN ANTONIO ASSIGNS DERRICK WHITE TO AUSTIN SPURS - Austin Spurs
- Blue Top Skyforce on New Year's Eve - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Red Claws Ring in New Year with Win over Magic - Maine Red Claws
- LEMON, ANTS HOLD OFF DRIVE - Grand Rapids Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.