Kobayashi Returns to U.S. Steel Yard May 27
GARY, Ind. - Competitive eating legend Takeru Kobayashi is hungry for more RailCats baseball and will return to U. S. Steel Yard for the second consecutive season on Sunday, May 27 for the RailCats game at 2:10 p.m. against Wichita. Kobayashi will throw out a first pitch and challenge several lucky RailCats fans to an eating contest in between innings.
The 34-year-old eating champion won six straight Nathan's Annual Hot Dog Eating Contest titles and holds the unofficial world record for eating 69 hot dogs in 10 minutes. He also holds Guinness World Records for eating meatballs, Twinkies, hamburgers and pasta. In February, Kobayashi smashed the record for most chicken wings eaten at Wing Bowl.
Very few humans and one Kodiak bear have ever defeated Kobayashi in eating competitions, but four RailCats fans took the challenge during his first visit to Gary. Last August, Kobayashi defeated that team of four RailCats fans in a hamburger eating contest. (See video and commercial from last season's visit) A similar competition will be scheduled this year, and Kobayashi will also be available to sign autographs and take pictures with fans.
The Sunday afternoon game will also be Times Family Sunday, and fans will receive a great offer of four tickets, four hot dogs, and four sodas for $36 with a coupon from the Times. Kids will have the opportunity to run the bases after the game, but it is advised they do not try to break Kobayashi's eating records before doing so.
The Nagano, Japan, native soared into the spotlight in 2001 when he won the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest in his first appearance. Despite his small 5-foot-8, 125-pound frame, Kobayashi has become a record-setting competitive eater by using training methods to expand his stomach for competition.
Single game tickets for May 27 and all RailCats home games will go on sale Saturday, April 14 at noon. The RailCats Home Opener will be on Friday, May 25 at 7:10 p.m. against Wichita at U. S. Steel Yard.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from March 23, 2012
- White Sox Great Minnie Minoso to Appear at Fan Fest - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Veteran Leadoff Man Anthonsen Returns - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Kobayashi Returns to U.S. Steel Yard May 27 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Backman Returns at Hot Corner - Sioux City Explorers
- Saints Get Outfield Help with Cabrera Signing - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- DeLeon, 7 Unanswered Runs Leads Gary to 7-2 Win and Second Straight Series
- RailCats Claim Southpaw Thurston off Waivers from Chicago
- 4-Run Eighth Guides Gary to 6-5 Comeback Win
- Morel's magnificent debut spoiled in 2-1 extra-innings loss
- RailCats Ink 26-Year-Old Right-Hander Morell