Kentucky Retros Announce New Head Coach
Louisville, KY. The ABA Kentucky Retros have a new head coach and owner Steve Van Waes could not be happier. Ron Greene will be the head coach for the 2007-2008 season and everyone who knows Coach Greene can't wait for the first game to take place. "I had several talks with Coach Greene and the two qualities that impressed me the most were the "fire" he still has in his gut to win and be a teacher of the game to the players," stated Van Waes. "Coach Greene had me thinking, "Put me in coach, I'm ready to play! Coach Greene truly is a players coach and wants to help his new players get to the next level."
Van Waes added, "I can remember the days he was coaching at Murray State University when I was playing baseball there. He would go around to the fraternities, sororities, community and promote the basketball team. He orchestrated the biggest turn-around in NCAA competition at Murray State when the team went from 4-22 to 23-8 capturing the school's first conference championship in eleven years and advancing to the quarter final of NIT before losing to the University of Illinois.
During Coach Greene's career:
* Compiled over 300 wins
* Two time nominee for National Coach of the Year
* NABC District 7 Coach of the Year
* Two time Ohio Valley Coach of the Year
* Two time Louisiana Coach of the Year
* Elected into University of New Orleans Hall of Fame, Sugar Bowl Hall of Fame and Louisiana Basketball Coaches Hall of Fame.
The other quality that impressed Van Waes which is not mentioned in his achievements is the fact that Coach Green is a better person than he is a coach. "He is a perfect fit for our inaugual season and will represent the Kentucky Retros with the utmost class. Get ready Kentucky basketball fans because the fan-friendly, affordable entertainment of professional basketball is back in the Bluegrass State." Please check our website for more information, www.kentuckyretros.com and visit the official ABA website at www.abalive.com.
Note: OurSports Central no longer actively covers the American Basketball Association (ABA) as a professional league due in part to its inability to publish and play a schedule and the transitory nature of many of its teams. For information on professional minor leagues, please see OSC's basketball section.
• Discuss this story on the American Basketball Association message board...
American Basketball Association Stories from May 14, 2007
- LOTS OF ACTIVITY WITH SAN DIEGO WILDCATS - San Diego Wildcats
- Kentucky Retros Announce New Head Coach - Kentucky Retros
- Gwizzlies Going To Long Beach Summer Pro League - Georgia Gwizzlies
- Corning Bulldogs Announce Coaching Staff - Corning Bulldogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.