Kats sign All-Arena FB/LB Frank Carter
NASHVILLE (Oct. 4, 2005) - The Nashville Kats have agreed to terms with fullback/linebacker Frank Carter, head coach Pat Sperduto announced on Tuesday.
Carter (6-2, 260) is a four-year veteran of arena football and was selected to the first-team All-Arena squad following a 2005 season that saw him tie for the league lead in sacks with nine as a member of the Las Vegas Gladiators. The 27-year old has 16 career sacks, five forced fumbles and seven fumble recoveries. He has also averaged 3.1 yards per carry in his four-year career, developing into one of the top two-way players in the AFL.
"We are thrilled to add Frank Carter to this football team," said Sperduto. "He is a guy we had circled early on as someone we wanted to make a run at, and we are lucky to have him. Frank makes plays on both sides of the ball and is the kind of player that will help this football team. He's very physical and creates a lot of problems for opponents when they try to match up with him. We know about that first hand."
Carter had two sacks and 4.5 tackles in Las Vegas' win at Nashville last February. In 2005, he gained 106 yards on 32 carries (a 3.3 ypg average) and scored five touchdowns, in addition to the outstanding numbers he put up on defense.
"I am excited to be coming to Nashville," said Carter, who played collegiately at MacMurray College in Illinois. "The Kats were the team nobody wanted to play late in the season, and they are building a great team here. Coach Pat is a great guy and I'm looking forward to playing for him."
The Arena Football League's free agent signing period began today, and Carter is the first free agent signing for the Kats. His addition takes the team's active roster to 22 players. Each AFL squad can have as many as 37 players on their offseason roster, and the Kats plan to sign several more free agents in the coming days. There are 14 players who played last season with the Kats that are currently free agents, and Sperduto indicated that several of those will be re-signed in the next week.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from October 4, 2005
- Destroyers open free agency period by signing five AFL veterans - Columbus Destroyers
- Gladiators ink seven as AFL free agent signing period begins - Las Vegas Gladiators
- Soul land top two free agent linemen - Philadelphia Soul
- L.A. Avengers trade Luis Almanzar to Austin Wranglers - Los Angeles Avengers
- Bon Jovi not Soul'd out for you - Philadelphia Soul
- Dahnel Singfield joins Dragons' backfield - New York Dragons
- Kats sign All-Arena FB/LB Frank Carter - Nashville Kats
- Kansas City to join AFL as 18th team for 2006 - AFL I