Kastles Re-Sign Venus Williams for 2019 WTT season
The Kastles are excited to announce that 23-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams will return to DC for her fifth season with the franchise this summer.
"I'm really happy to be returning to Washington this summer," said Williams. "I love playing in DC. The Kastles and the fans have been really good to me over the years. The atmosphere inside Kastles Stadium is unlike any other in World TeamTennis. I'm really looking forward to another great season."
Williams, a long-time WTT veteran, has found a supportive home with the Kastles since joining the team in 2010. She memorably led the team to their 2012 championship title with a final set victory over the Sacramento Capitals' CoCo Vandeweghe, a highlight she has often called one of her favorite on-court moments. Williams also contributed to the Kastles securing the King Trophy in 2011, 2014 and 2015.
"Venus Williams is a global icon and, at this point, a Kastles institution," said Kastles owner Mark Ein. "She epitomizes the team's grit and grace and lives her life in a way totally aligned with the values of our Kastles organization. We are proud to have her represent our Washington, D.C community and know our fans will be thrilled to see her here this summer "
If her performance Saturday against world #3 Petra Kvitova in Indian Wells is any indication, Williams will be a force to be reckoned with in WTT this summer. The Kastles great came back from a 4-6, 0-3 deficit to defeat the two-time Wimbledon champion and recent Australian Open finalist to advance at the BNP Paribas Open, one of the most prestigious tournaments on the WTA Tour.
Don't miss the chance to see Venus in action at Kastles Stadium this July!
• Discuss this story on the World TeamTennis message board...
World TeamTennis Stories from March 11, 2019
- Kastles Re-Sign Venus Williams for 2019 WTT season - Washington Kastles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Washington Kastles Stories
- Washington Kastles Continue to Deliver One-Of-A-Kind Experience; End 2019 Season on a High Note
- Washington Kastles Finish Season on High Note against Orange County Breakers
- Kastles Down Defending WTT Champ Lasers, 23-20
- Washington Kastles, Superstar Nick Kyrgios Down Defending WTT Champ Springfield Lasers
- Nick Kyrgios Headlines Kastles Last Home Match of Season against Lasers Tonight at 6PM