Kalamazoo's Joel Martin named UHL Best Goaltender
May 3, 2006 - International Hockey League 2 (IHL 2) News Release
LAKE ST. LOUIS, MO--- The United Hockey League (UHL) announced Wednesday that Joel Martin of the Kalamazoo Wings has been named the 2005-06 Southern Sports Supply UHL Best Goaltender as selected by league head coaches, general managers, and members of the media.
The 23-year-old native of Three Hills, Alberta led all UHL goaltenders with a 2.20 goals against average (GAA) and a .921 save percentage (SPCT). In 52 appearances during the regular season, he registered a 36-12-4 record. The 36 wins ranked second among league goaltenders and set a new Kalamazoo team record for wins in a season. He also earned nine shutouts in 2005-06, setting a new UHL season record.
Martin began the season with wins his first nine starts (9-0-0), including two shutouts. He was named Southern Sports Supply UHL Goaltender of the Week on three occasions and UHL Goaltender of the Month for December. He received a call-up to the Cleveland Barons of the American Hockey League (AHL) in October, playing in one game which he made 20 saves.
Last week, Martin was named to the UHL All-Rookie Team and the UHL All-Star First Team. In January, he was selected to the starting lineup at the 2006 UHL All-Star Classic.
PREVIOUS RECIPIENTS OF UHL BEST GOALTENDER
2004-05 Michel Robinson, Rockford
2003-04 Kevin St. Pierre, Fort Wayne
2002-03 Tom Lawson, Fort Wayne
2001-02 Sylvain Daigle, Muskegon
2000-01 Blair Allison, New Haven
1999-00 Brian Regan, Missouri
1998-99 Joe Dimaline, Muskegon
1997-98 Darryl Gilmour, Madison
1996-97 Sergei Zvyagin, Quad City
1995-96 Rich Parent, Muskegon
1994-95 Maxim Michailovsky, Detroit
1993-94 J.F. Labbe, Thunder Bay
1992-93 Jamie Stewart, Detroit
1991-92 Jamie Stewart, Detroit
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from May 3, 2006
- Fury advance to Colonial Cup Semi-Finals for fifth year in a row - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Joel Martin Selected as the UHL's Southern Sports Supply Goaltender of the Year - Kalamazoo Wings
- Semi-Finals begin Friday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kalamazoo's Joel Martin named UHL Best Goaltender - IHL 2
- UHL Colonial Cup Playoffs round two schedule announced - IHL 2
- Rockford's semifinal schedule with Wings set - Rockford IceHogs
- Trashers defeat Quad City in opening playoff round - Danbury Trashers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.