Houston Dynamo Lose to Austin FC 2-1
AUSTIN, Texas - Houston Dynamo FC lost to in-state rival Austin FC at Q2 stadium by a final score of 2-1. With the loss, the Dynamo fall to 1-2-0 in the inaugural installation of this season series.
Austin opened the scoring when winger Cecilio Dominguez drew a penalty kick from a foul by defender Zarek Valentin in the sixth minute. A minute later, Dominguez's penalty shot ricocheted off of the left post, to the right post before hitting the back of goalkeeper Marko Marić and going into the net for a 1-0 Austin lead.
Marić was making his first start for the Dynamo since the 2-2 draw with FC Dallas on Aug. 21 and finished the afternoon with five saves.
Austin's second goal came in the fourth minute of added time in the first half, when midfielder Alexander Ring found midfielder Sebastián Driussi in an attacking position just outside of the 18-yard-box. Driussi fired a low shot into the corner of the net to give Austin a 2-0 lead at the break.
The Dynamo pulled a goal back in the second minute of stoppage time in the second half. Forward Ari Lassiter raced up the right wing and crossed the ball in front of the Austin goal. The ball bounced off two Austin defenders and into the back of the net to cut the deficit to one goal. The own goal was credited to Julio Cascante.
Houston had a pair of corner kicks in the waning moments with an opportunity to earn a point, but Austin was able to fend off both corners before referee Tim Ford blew the whistle for full time.
Houston's next game is on October 31 against the Colorado Rapids at 2:00 p.m. central time. This match is the final contest at home on the season for the Dynamo. For tickets, visit www.houstondynamofc.com/tickets/.
Austin FC (8-19-4; 28 pts.) 2-1 Houston Dynamo FC (6-14-12; 30 pts.)
MLS Regular Season - Week 32
Q2 Stadium - Austin, Texas
TEAMâ¯ 1H 2H FTâ¯
Austin FC 2 0 2
Houston Dynamo FC 0 1 1
ATX: Marco Marić 1 (own goal) 7
ATX: Sebastián Driussi 4 (Alexander Ring 2) 45+3
HOU: Julio Cascante 1 (own goal) 90+2
Austin FC:â¯Brad Stuver; Daniel Pereira Gil, Jhohan Romaña, Julio Cascante, Nick Lima; Daniel Pereira Gil, Alexander Ring (Jon Gallagher 89); Cecilio Domínguez (Rodney Redes 68), Sebastián Driussi (Tomás Pochettino 84), Diego Fagundez; Moussa Djitté (Orrin McKenzie Gaines II 68)
Unused substitutes: Owen Wolff, Andrew Tarbell, Sebastian Berhalter, Kekutah Manneh, Zan Kolmanic
Total shots: 19 (Cecilio Domínguez 5); Shots on goal: 8 (Cecilio Domínguez 3); Fouls: 11 (Sebastián Driussi, Daniel Pereira Gil, Orrin McKinze Gaines II 2); Offside: 1; Corner kicks: 10; Saves: 6 (Brad Stuver 6)
Houston Dynamo FC: Marko Marić; Adam Lundkvist, Sam Junqua, Tim Parker, Zarek Valentin (Ian Hoffmann 46); Darwin Cerén (Adalberto Carrasquilla 66), Matías Vera; Darwin Quintero; Griffin Dorsey (Tyler Pasher 76), Maxi Urruti, Fafa Picault (Ari Lassiter 66)
Unused substitutes: Michael Nelson, Maynor Figueroa, Boniek Garcia, Memo Rodriguez, Joe Corona
Total shots: 15 (Darwin Quintero 4); Shots on goal: 6 (Tim Parker, Darwin Cerén, Griffin Dorsey, Adalberto Carrasquilla, Darwin Quintero, Ari Lassiter 1); Fouls: 15 (Matías Vera, Fafa Picault 3); Offside: 0; Corner kicks: 10; Saves: 5 (Marko Marić 5)
HOU: Darwin Cerén (caution, not retreating) 11
ATX: Daniel Pereira Gil (caution, foul) 38
ATX: Sebastián Driussi (caution, foul) 47
ATX: Zan Kolmanic (caution, other) 54
HOU: Matias Vera (caution, foul) 74
Assistant Referee: Jason White
Assistant Referee:â¯Adam Garner
Fourth Official:â¯Luis Guardia
VAR: Guido Gonzales jr.
Weather:â¯90 degrees, partly cloudy
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 24, 2021
- Nani, Daryl Dike Score in Lions' 2-2 Draw with New England - Orlando City SC
- Austin FC Defeats Houston Dynamo FC, 2-1 - Austin FC
- Houston Dynamo Lose to Austin FC 2-1 - Houston Dynamo FC
- Chicago Fire FC to Face NYCFC at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday - Chicago Fire FC
- Five Points: History MakersÃÂ - New York City FC
- Galván's Two Assists, Yarbrough Clean Sheet See Rapids Top Timbers - Colorado Rapids
- LA Galaxy Fight Back to Earn 2-2 Draw against FC Dallas at Dignity Health Sports Park on Saturday Night - LA Galaxy
- 21-year-old Benji Kikanovic scores for San Jose in draw - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Draws 2-2 with Los Angeles Galaxy at Health Dignity Health Sports Park - FC Dallas
- 'Caps battle to valiant road point ahead of huge home game on Wednesday - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo FC Stories
- Houston Dynamo FC Exercise 2022 Contract Options on Seven Players
- Houston Dynamo FC Re-Sign Midfielder Matias Vera
- Houston Dynamo FC Host Real Salt Lake February 27 to Open 2022 Season
- Houston Dynamo FC Announce 2021 Team Awards
- Houston Dynamo FC Legend Boniek García Enters Free Agency