Hounds Back in Playoff Spot with Win over Machine
The Charlotte Hounds on Saturday night knocked off the Ohio Machine 13-10 in front of 4,246 fans at Selby Stadium in Delaware, OH. With the win and a loss earlier in the evening by the Boston Cannons, the Hounds (6-6) move back into the fourth and final spot in the MLL playoff standings. Peet Poillon was named Player of the Game for a four-point performance that included two goals and two assists.
The Machine got on the board first, with a strike from Kiel Matisz just over a minute into the game. The next seven minutes went scoreless before Marcus Holman extended the Machine lead to 2-0. However, it would be the last goal the home team would score for 13:15 as the Hounds rattled off a six goal run, started with Ryan Young's tally in the waning seconds of the first quarter.
Mike Sawyer kept the momentum rolling in the second, burying a rebound after Poillon's prior shot bounced off the post. Eric Lusby, Young and Poillon each added a goal before Matt Danowski ripped a 2-pointer to give the Hounds a 7-2 advantage with 4:24 to play in the half. The Machine's Joe Cummings finally put an end to the run, with a score on the doorstep to make it a four-goal game. But the Hounds closed out the quarter with back-to-back tallies from Sawyer and John Haus to build a 9-3 lead at the intermission.
The third quarter opened much like the first, as Matisz notched a quick tally and Chazz Woodson followed up with a goal of his own to cut the Hounds' lead to 9-5 less than two minutes in. The Hounds' Mason Poli then got a good look in transition and fired a shot that hit the back of the net but bounced out of the cage and was not originally ruled a goal. Coach Mike Cerino challenged the play, and after review the goal was called and the Hounds went back up by five. Danowski followed up with his second of the night to make it an 11-5 game with 7:56 remaining in the quarter. But the Machine cut the lead back down to three, closing the quarter with three straight goals from Jeff Ledwick, Logan Schuss and Kyle Hartzell.
The game stayed close in the final stanza. Lusby opened the scoring with his second of the night to put the Hounds back in front 12-8. Poillon followed up with his second of the night, but it would be the Hounds' final tally of the night. The Machine finished the game with back-to-back goals from Schuss to account for the 13-10 final.
The Hounds next week return to Charlotte for their final home game of the 2013 season. They will face the Hamilton Nationals (9-3) at American Legion Memorial Stadium at 7:00pm ET on Saturday, Aug. 3. The Nationals are coming off a 17-12 win over the Cannons. Tickets for the game are available at charlottehounds.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Lacrosse message board...
Major League Lacrosse Stories from July 27, 2013
- Nationals Clinch Playoff Berth - Hamilton Nationals
- Hounds Back in Playoff Spot with Win over Machine - Charlotte Hounds
- Boston Cannons Fall to Hamilton Nationals, 17-12 - Boston Cannons
- Outlaws Set MLL Win-Percentage Record, Earn Top Playoff Seed - Denver Outlaws
- Westervelt's Four Goals Not Enough as Chesapeake Falls at Denver - Chesapeake Bayhawks
- Hamilton to Send Eight to U.S. National Team Tryouts - Hamilton Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Hounds Stories
- Hounds Sign Sponsorship Deal with Legion Brewing for 2017
- Hounds Active in Offseason with Player Signings
- John Grant Jr. Powers Ohio to Semi-Final Win over Charlotte
- MLL Names Mike Chanenchuk Maverick Most Improved Player of 2016
- Hounds' Will Haus Named Warrior Defensive Player of the Week