Head Coach LaRue, Sea Dogs part ways
SAINT JOHN, March 20, 2006 - Stating the team was not headed in the right direction, the Saint John Sea Dogs announced today that Christian La Rue has been relieved of his duties as head coach.
"It's tough when you let someone go who has as much passion for the game as Chris La Rue," said Sea Dogs general manager Bob "Tipper" LeBlanc. "However, I'm convinced this is the right direction for our hockey club."
LeBlanc said the win-loss record for the expansion Sea Dogs was not the only factor in the decision to part ways with La Rue.
"With the way we played, particularly in the second half of the season, it was evident the message wasn't getting across to the players," he said. "Quite simply, we just didn't see enough improvement in certain areas with our hockey club."
LeBlanc said the organization is committed to icing a competitive team.
"We are convinced that with a new head coach and a fresh start next season, we will turn the club around and continue the process of building a team that competes every game," he said. "We are prepared to do whatever it takes to get this team to the playoffs."
LeBlanc said the process of finding a replacement for La Rue begins immediately. "We would like to have a new head coach in place before the QMJHL draft in early June."
La Rue was hired May 11 as the Sea Dogs first head coach. He recorded 15 wins and 55 losses this past season.
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from March 20, 2006
- Fog Devils release playoff dates - St. John's Fog Devils
- 2006 first round playoff schedule revealed - QMJHL
- Head Coach LaRue, Sea Dogs part ways - Saint John Sea Dogs
- 2006 First Round Playoff Schedule Set - Moncton Wildcats
- Radulov and Denny win player of the week awards - QMJHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saint John Sea Dogs Stories
- April Update: Humboldt Broncos; Radim Salda NHL Draft; Sea Dogs Alumni Break Record
- In Support of the Humboldt Broncos
- Sea Dogs Awarded Second Overall Pick in 2018 QMJHL Entry Draf
- Salda Named to QMJHL Rookie All-Star Team
- QMJHL Draft Lottery Takes Place Thursday