Hawks Defeat Titans 4-2 After Long Break
The Johnstown Tomahawks defeated the New Jersey Titans with a convincing 4-2 Friday night at 1ST SUMMIT ARENA. Friday night's game was the Tomahawks first NAHL matchup in 28 days, due to ongoing COVID-19 issues throughout the league.
Former Tomahawk Matt Doyle opened the scoring for the Titans early in the 1st period. There was good back and forth action throughout the entire period. Drew Murphy and Jay Ahearn prevailed to give the Hawks a 2-1 lead going into the 1st intermission. Tensions started to build between the two teams as the period wound down, and would carry over into the 2nd.
John Gelatt netted the first goal of the 2nd just five minutes into the frame, giving the Tomahawks the boost they needed as the game progressed. New Jersey's Levente Keresztes capitalized on a tripping penalty from Max Neill to tighten the gap making it 3-2 Hawks. With three minutes remaining in the 2nd period captain Alex Gritz regained the two-goal lead for the Tomahawks making it 4-2 going into the 2nd intermission. Both teams headed to their respective locker rooms rather slowly, exchanging words along the way.
Halfway through the 3rd period, things really started to heat up. After a scrap in front of the Titans bench, there were three penalties assessed, two going to New Jersey and one to Johnstown. The Tomahawks did not convert on the man advantage but had plenty of opportunities and good zone time throughout the two minutes. The period would end scoreless and the Tomahawks prevailed winning 4-2.
The two teams will face off again tomorrow night at 1ST SUMMIT ARENA in Johnstown at 7 PM for the final game of the weekend. Tickets are available on ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from November 20, 2020
- Bruins Survive Wilderness, 4-3, in Shootout - Austin Bruins
- Wings Stay Perfect with 7-0 Win at Minot - Aberdeen Wings
- Hawks Defeat Titans 4-2 After Long Break - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Jets Set to Host Back-To-Back Series Versus Bruins - Janesville Jets
- Weekend Series Postponed - Chippewa Steel
- Season Ticket Reminder - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Undefeated Wings Head to Minot - Aberdeen Wings
- Brahmas on the Road Again to Play Warriors - Lone Star Brahmas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Johnstown Tomahawks Stories
- Rookie Goaltender Lifts Hawks to Shootout Win in Debut
- Hawks Fall to Black Bears Saturday Afternoon
- Hawks Suffer First Regulation Loss of Season to Black Bears
- Tomahawks Complete Weekend Sweep, Move up in East Division
- Hawks Defeat Titans 4-2 After Long Break