Hawgs blast Xtreme, 54-0, in Ocean Center debut
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Brad Lee rushed for 98 yards and four touchdowns and the Daytona Beach Hawgs posted the fifth shutout in National Indoor Football League history as they blasted the New Jersey Xtreme 54-0 before 4,221 in the Ocean Center Thursday night.
Robert Bailey and Isaac Hall each added two scores for the Hawgs, who improved to 1-1 while the Xtreme fell to 0-2.
After a bad snap on a field goal attempt gave Daytona Beach the ball on the Xtreme 2, Oscar Davenport connected with Bailey on a two-yard touchdown pass with 11:59 remaining in the first quarter. Two Lee runs and a team safety pushed the Hawg lead to 21-0 at halftime.
Bailey returned a missed field goal 40 yards in the second half, while Lee added runs of 3 and 2 yards. Hall had 41 yards rushing and his two fourth-quarter scores.
Davenport completed six of 10 passes for 73 yards, but was intercepted three times.
The Hawgs defense held the Xtreme to 97 total yards and forced four turnovers, including two interceptions from Micah Simmons, one from Bobby Bass and a fumble recovery by Marcus Washington. Levar Simms led the team with 6.5 tackles.
Daytona Beach travels to Kissimmee on Saturday, April 2 to face Marquette Smith and the Kissimmee Kreatures.
• Discuss this story on the National Indoor Football League message board...
National Indoor Football League Stories from March 24, 2005
- Cincinnati Marshals Announce 25-Man Roster - The Marshals
- Hawgs blast Xtreme, 54-0, in Ocean Center debut - Daytona Beach Hawgs
- Maulers sweep league's weekly awards - Montgomery Bears
- Dayton Warbirds Await Final Approval with the National Indoor Football League (NIFL) - Dayton Bulldogs
- Miami Morays week two game preview - Miami Morays
- River City Rage Season Opener Saturday - RiverCity Rage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.