Hallonquist Earns Pitcher of the Week Honors
The all-star's gem not only was the first nine-inning shutout of the season, but it put the Pump Jacks in the playoff driver's seat.
Last Thursday, the East Texas Pump Jacks served notice that they were in the 2014 TCL playoff race.
All-star hurler Jeremy Hallonquist delivered that notice with authority, and on Monday the league took notice.
Hallonquist was named the Dinger Bats TCL Pitcher of the Week Monday after tossing the first nine-inning shutout in the league this season. He allowed just four hits and he didn't walk a batter, facing two batters over the minimum. He struck out seven on the night.
The Hallsville native twice retired eight-straight hitters, finishing the game on one such streak.
Perhaps more importantly, the effort came against the Texas Marshals, who had led the Pump Jacks by a game in the playoff race entering the contest. The win put the Jacks in a tie with the Marshals, and a shutout the following night gave East Texas the lead in the race. Entering play this week, the Pump Jacks hold a two-game lead over Texas and a 2.5-game advantage over the Woodlands Strykers in the race for the fourth playoff seed.
Hallonquist's 2.25 ERA leads the Pump Jacks and places him ninth in the league. He has 45 strikeouts on the season, tied for fourth in the TCL against just 11 walks.
This is the second time this season a Pump Jack has picked up a Pitcher of the Week honor. Darren Lauer shared the award in the first week of the season following his impressive showing on opening night.
The Jacks kick off a two-game series against the Marshals with Service Person Appreciation Night on Tuesday. Members of the military, fire, police, and EMS can pick up Grandstand tickets for themselves and their families for just two dollars.
• Discuss this story on the Texas Collegiate League message board...
Texas Collegiate League Stories from August 1, 2014
- Win a Game-Worn Pump Jacks Jersey - East Texas PumpJacks
- Hallonquist Earns Pitcher of the Week Honors - East Texas PumpJacks
- Jacks Run Home Winning Streak to Seven Games - East Texas PumpJacks
- Marshals Win 4-2 on the Road over Cane Cutters - Texas Marshals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent East Texas PumpJacks Stories
- Jacks Fall in Finale 7-6, Set Sights on Saturdayâ??s Playoff Opener
- Jacks Fall to Bombers in Brazos Valley
- Jacks End Final Homestand with Sweep of Strykers; Playoffs Start Saturday
- Jacks Explode in the Fourth to Beat Strykers 10-7
- Donâ??t Miss out on the Jacks' Final Home Series