Greaves Earns Shutout as Colts Win Season Opener
The Barrie Colts began their 25th season tonight on the road in North Bay taking on the Battalion.
The first period was full of action on both ends of the ice. Goalies were tested early and both looking sharp. Despite some quality scoring chances the frame ended with no score.
The Colts got on the board early in the second period. It was Matej Pekar scoring 58 seconds in with assists to Nathan Allensen and Jason Willms. Less than four minutes later, with the Colts on the penalty kill, it was Aidan Brown blocking a shot and scoring on a short-handed breakaway. Jet Greaves made a couple great saves during the period and the Colts were up 2-0 after 40 minutes of play.
In the third period, Pekar scored early in the period once again, this time only waiting 37 seconds before finding the back of the net. Tyler Tucker and Jason Willms picked up assists on Pekar's second goal.
Jet Greaves stood on his head all night long and picked up the shutout with a 3-0 Colts victory.
Warren Rychel collected his first win as a coach tonight. He said, "Jet was unreal. The whole roster contributed and I can't be happier." Rychel said when asked about his first win, "It feels amazing. My life has changed so much over the last ten days and it's a little overwhelming, but the Barrie Colts are in the win column!"
General Manager Jason Ford said that after the team battled the North Bay crowd in the first ten minutes of the game, they seemed a lot more comfortable. Ford went on to say that Greaves was unbelievable and that the guys really worked hard tonight and earned the two points.
Captain Jason Willms said, "The team felt great out there. We stuck to the game plan and battled hard for the full 60".
The Colts are back in action tomorrow night for the home opener against the London Knights.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from September 21, 2019
- Colts Third Period Surge Buries the Top Ranked Knights in Home Opener - Barrie Colts
- Spirit Unable to Generate Enough Offense to Beat Firebirds - Saginaw Spirit
- Barber Poles open season with a perfect weekend on the road - Ottawa 67's
- Bulldogs Drop Home Opener To Otters 8-5 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Game Preview - September 22nd vs. SBY - Mississauga Steelheads
- Fronts Fall to Strong Generals Squad in Home Opener - Kingston Frontenacs
- Preview: Spirit Open Home Schedule Saturday against Firebirds - Saginaw Spirit
- Knights Open Regular Season with Loss against the Petes - London Knights
- Spirit Drop Season Opener in Overtime - Saginaw Spirit
- Battalion Blanked in Opener - North Bay Battalion
- Greaves Earns Shutout as Colts Win Season Opener - Barrie Colts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.