Goetz at It Again with Walk-Off Hit
JUPITER, FL - The situation was familiar: the Hammerheads were tied with a chance to win the ballgame and up to the plate came Ryan Goetz. Like he has done twice before, the Jupiter outfielder delivered on Saturday night with a walk-off single in the bottom of the ninth to boost the Hammerheads to a 3-2 win over Clearwater.
With one out and runners on first and second, Goetz slapped a 3-2 pitch by Cody Forsythe by the glove of the shortstop. Noah Perio hesitated at second base but was waved home and the throw from the left fielder hit Perio in the back as he slid in with the winning run.
Chad Wallach started the rally with one out in the ninth when he hit a grounder to the right of the shortstop who slid to make the play. Wallach hustled down the line and beat out the throw by on a bang-bang play, his second infield hit of the night.
Jesus Solorzano would then lace a single up the box prompting Brian Schneider to pinch run for Wallach at second with Perio. Moments later Goetz would deliver the game-winner.
It was the third time this season Goetz has driven in the winning run in a walk-off victory. On May 18th against Brevard County, Goetz's RBI single won the game in the bottom of the ninth. On June 1st Goetz's sac fly in the bottom of the 12th plated Perio in a 4-3 win over Dunedin. Saturday's single gave Goetz a trio of walk-off winners, all of which have come against Florida State League North Division foes.
The Hammerheads jumped out to an early lead in the first inning when Justin Bohn hit a leadoff single, advanced to second on a wild pitch and eventually scored when a groundball went through the legs of the shortstop for an error.
The score would remain 1-0 until Clearwater struck for a pair of runs off of Jupiter starter Scott Lyman in the fourth inning when Harold Martinez hit a RBI single and Gabriel Lino gave the Threshers the lead when he hit a double to left.
The lead would be short-lived as Viosergy Rosa hit a leadoff home run in the bottom of the fourth to tie things at two. It was his team-leading 12th homer of the season.
Once Lyman was pulled from the game following the fifth the Jupiter bullpen was lights out. Blake Logan came into the game in the sixth and proceeded to strikeout six of the first seven batters he faced. He would end up pitching three perfect innings.
Reid Redman would work around a one-out single in the ninth to keep the game tied. He would earn his third win of the year.
Jupiter and Clearwater will play the final game of the series on Sunday afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 1:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from July 26, 2014
- Goetz at It Again with Walk-Off Hit - Jupiter Hammerheads
- 'Crabs Beat Blue Jays 6-1 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Mejia Clutch in 8-6 Extra Inning Win over Tampa - Fort Myers Miracle
- Saturday's Brevard County/Palm Beach Game Postponed - Brevard County Manatees
- Manatees to hold golf tournament in support of Jorge Lopez - Brevard County Manatees
- Friday's Doubleheader Between Mets and Cubs Washed Out - St. Lucie Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jupiter Hammerheads Stories
- Hammerheads Close out Season Early with Loss to Tampa
- Remainder of Florida State League Season Cancelled After Tonight's Game
- Jupiter Takes One in Doubleheader vs. Tampa
- August 27th Game against Tampa Postponed, Will be Made up as Doubleheader
- Close Loss Opens Final Jupiter Home Series