Fury FC Closes out Road Trip with 2-0 Loss to Indy Eleven
INDIANAPOLIS, IN - An early goal by Indy Eleven was the difference on Wednesday night as Ottawa Fury FC fell 2-0 on the road.
The loss closes out a tough road trip for Fury, who remain without top offensive threats Christiano Francois (international duty) and Mour Samb (injury).
Closing out a lengthy road trip on Wednesday, Fury fell behind early with Indy's Ayoze scoring his first of two on the night in the 6th minute. He would add some insurance for the home side with another goal in the 55th minute.
Fury will now head home and begin preparing to host the Tampa Bay Rowdies on Wednesday, September 18th at TD Place (7 p.m.).
Indy Eleven has now gone 22 games at home without suffering a loss.
Now coming back home, Ottawa Fury FC has a successful home record of 7W-4D-2L at TD Place.
Callum Irving was a busy man in this game, with 13 shots directed at his cage and a total of 4 saves.
Ottawa is now four points ahead of the Eastern Conference 10th position, which is the last playoff spot.
POST MATCH COMMENTS
Head Coach Nikola Popovic
"I think it was a difficult match, it was our third game in a row on the road in a short period of time, so I'm proud of the players and everyone gave their best effort. The players fought until the very last moment, created scoring chances but it wasn't possible. However, I feel like we have to take positives from this match and come back stronger ahead of this very important stretch for us."
"It's so important for us to come back home, travels are difficult and the team are spending long days far from home, now coming back and being able to rest, practice and sleep in your own bed will be very big for us, we will have to come stronger and come prepared for this upcoming stretch, which will be crucial in order to make the playoffs."
Ottawa Fury FC (4-3-3): Irving; Haworth © , Meilleur-Giguère, Boskovic, Obasi; Ward, Thiago(80' Daniels), Gagnon-Laparé(62' Mannella); Oliveira (45' Tissot), Fall, Barry
Indy Eleven (4-4-2): Newton; Barrett ©, Hackshaw, Ouimette, Ayoze; King, Gibson, Conner, Ilic (74' Starikov); Pasher (87' Kelly), Novoa (65' Watson)
6' - Ayoze
55 ' - Ayoze
Yellow card summary
9' - OTT Irving
30' - OTT Gagnon-Lapare
45' - OTT Boskovic
65' - OTT Thiago
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 11, 2019
- Swope Force 0-0 Draw with Charleston in Makeup Match - Charleston Battery
- Fury FC Closes out Road Trip with 2-0 Loss to Indy Eleven - Ottawa Fury FC
- Orange County SC Welcome El Paso Locomotive for Inaugurual Fiesta de Futbol - Orange County SC
- Alex Dixon and Ryan Williams Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Hartford Athletic
- Rick Schantz Named USL Coach of the Month - Phoenix Rising FC
- Phoenix's Schantz Voted Championship's Coach of the Month - USL
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 28 - USL
- Musovski's Magical Night Carries 1868 FC to Win over Tacoma - Reno 1868 FC
- Tacoma Defiance Falls on the Road at Reno 1868 FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Reno 1868 FC - 5 Tacoma Defiance - 0 Post-Match Notes - Reno 1868 FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.