Frontenacs' Jeremy Helvig Named OHL 'On the Run' Player of the Week
April 16, 2018 - Ontario Hockey League (OHL) News Release
Toronto, ON - The Ontario Hockey League today announced that Carolina Hurricanes prospect Jeremy Helvig of the Kingston Frontenacs is the OHL 'On the Run' Player of the Week for the playoff week ending April 15 after posting a 3-0 record with a goals-against-average of 1.33 and save percentage of .958.
Helvig turned aside 91 shots in a trio of victories over the Barrie Colts last week backstopping the Frontenacs to a 4-2 series triumph and a berth in the Eastern Conference Final. His week included 30 saves in Tuesday's 4-2 win in Game 4, followed by 32 saves in Thursday's 7-1 road decision in Game 5 where he earned third star honours. On Friday night back on home ice for Game 6 Helvig made 29 saves including 15 in the third period alone to earn first star honours in the 2-1 series clinching victory. This marks the first time the Frontenacs have advanced to the third round of an OHL post-season since 1993 where they'll face the Hamilton Bulldogs for the Bobby Orr Trophy beginning Wednesday night.
A 20-year-old from Markham, Ont., Helvig is playing in his fourth OHL season with the Frontenacs since chosen by the club in the third round of the 2013 Priority Selection. Through two rounds of playoffs he holds an 8-2-1 record with a goals-against-average of 2.61 and save percentage of .921 which better his regular season marks of 2.68 and .916 recorded across 56 appearances in 2017-18. Helvig's tenure with the Frontenacs includes a pair of all-time franchise marks including 81 regular season wins and 10 shutouts. On March 27 the fifth round pick of the Hurricanes in the 2016 NHL Draft signed his entry-level contract with the club. This is Helvig's second league honour having been recognized for his play during the final week of January.
Watch video highlights of Helvig and the Frontenacs against the Colts in Game 4, Game 5, and Game 6.
Also considered for the award this week was Ottawa Senators prospect Logan Brown of the Kitchener Rangers who scored one goal with five assists for six points in the final four games of their second round series victory over the Sarnia Sting, Frontenacs forward Linus Nyman with one goal and five assists for six points in three games against the Colts, and defenceman Sean Durzi of the Owen Sound Attack with six assists in four games against the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.
2017-18 OHL 'On the Run' Players of the Week - Playoffs:
Apr. 9 - Apr. 15: Jeremy Helvig (Kingston Frontenacs)
Apr. 2 - Apr. 8: Andrei Svechnikov (Barrie Colts)
Mar. 26 - Apr. 1: Gabriel Vilardi (Kingston Frontenacs)
Mar. 19 - Mar. 25: Noel Hoefenmayer (Ottawa 67's)
2017-18 OHL 'On the Run' Players of the Week - Regular Season:
Mar. 12 - Mar. 18: Nick Suzuki (Owen Sound Attack)
Mar. 5 - Mar. 11: Dmitry Sokolov (Barrie Colts)
Feb. 26 - Mar. 4: Robert Thomas (Hamilton Bulldogs)
Feb. 19 - Feb. 25: Jordan Kyrou (Sarnia Sting)
Feb. 12 - Feb. 18: Aaron Luchuk (Barrie Colts)
Feb. 5 - Feb. 11: Liam Foudy (London Knights)
Jan. 29 - Feb. 4: Kenny Huether (Oshawa Generals)
Jan. 22 - Jan. 28: Jeremy Helvig (Kingston Frontenacs)
Jan. 15 - Jan. 21: Jordan Kyrou (Sarnia Sting)
Jan. 8 - Jan. 14: Taylor Raddysh (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds)
Jan. 1 - Jan. 7: Owen Tippett (Mississauga Steelheads)
Dec. 25 - Dec. 31: Ben Jones (Niagara IceDogs)
Dec. 11 - Dec. 17: Morgan Frost (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds)
Dec. 4 - Dec. 10: Justin Brazeau (North Bay Battalion)
Nov. 27 - Dec. 3: Joseph Garreffa (Kitchener Rangers)
Nov. 20 - Nov. 26: Serron Noel (Oshawa Generals)
Nov. 13 - Nov. 19: Cliff Pu (London Knights)
Nov. 6 - Nov. 12: Ryan Merkley (Guelph Storm)
Oct. 30 - Nov. 5: Albert Michnac (Mississauga Steelheads)
Oct. 23 - Oct. 29: Aaron Luchuk (Windsor Spitfires)
Oct. 16 - Oct. 22: Jordan Kyrou (Sarnia Sting)
Oct. 9 - Oct. 15: Brady Hinz (Sarnia Sting)
Oct. 2 - Oct. 8: Nick Suzuki (Owen Sound Attack)
Sept. 25 - Oct. 1: Jonathan Ang (Peterborough Petes)
Sept. 21 - Sept. 24: Michael DiPietro (Windsor Spitfires)
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2018
- Record 5 Firebirds on NHL Draft Final Rankings - Flint Firebirds
- Frontenacs' Jeremy Helvig Named OHL 'On the Run' Player of the Week - OHL
- Steelheads Announce 2018 Prospect and Development Camp - Mississauga Steelheads
- Thomas, Bruder, and MacPherson Listed in NHL CSS Final Rankings - Niagara IceDogs
- Four Troops Rated by NHL - North Bay Battalion
- Four Gens Players in Final 2018 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - Oshawa Generals
- 143 CHL Players in Final 2018 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - OHL
- McLeod, Michnac and Ingham Listed in Final 2018 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - Mississauga Steelheads
- Road to the Conference Finals: Hamilton vs Kingston - Kingston Frontenacs
- Chisholm Tops Among Four Petes Players and Prospects Listed on NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings - Peterborough Petes
- Durzi, Dudas Appear in NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings - Owen Sound Attack
- Spirit Sign Ethan Cardwell, Tristan Lennox to Standard Player Agreements and Education Package - Saginaw Spirit
- Tickets Available Now for Year-End Awards Banquet on Friday, April 20 - Peterborough Petes
- Tickets to Round 3 on Sale Now - Kitchener Rangers
- Saturday's Mini-Camp Schedule Announced - Windsor Spitfires
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.