Fort Lauderdale Strikers Chasing Historical Feat
Club could become first modern-era NASL team to reach postseason five times. Fort Lauderdale - With two matches remaining in the NASL Spring Season the Fort Lauderdale Strikers remain in the thick of the postseason hunt. Should Fort Lauderdale qualify for the postseason, the club would become the first in the modern-era of the NASL to qualify for five postseason tournaments.
The Strikers currently sit three points behind fourth-placed Minnesota United FC. The top four teams in the combined NASL standings qualify for the postseason tournament known as "The Championship." Full NASL standings can be found here.
Fort Lauderdale hosts Rayo OKC at 7:00pm on Saturday October 22 at Central Broward Stadium.
* The Strikers have collected two vans full of goods for distribution in Haiti at the last week's home games. The island nation is suffering from the impact of Hurricane Matthew. * The Strikers are wearing pink kits for all matches in October as part of the #DrivePink Campaign in cooperation with AutoNation and the Breast Cancer Research foundation. * Geison Moura has started three successive games and has scored the winning goal in each of the last two matches.The Brazilian winger had started just one match in the month of September, a 1-1 draw at Rayo OKC on September 18. * Both Pascal Millien and Junior Sandoval have played in all six matches since signing with Fort Lauderdale on September 23. * Fort Lauderdale has now won the first two games of a three game home-stand. The home-stand concludes with a matchup with Rayo OKC next Saturday at 7pm local time. * Bruno made his 15th successive start in goal in the 2-0 win over Puerto Rico FC on Saturday for the Strikers and kept his sixth clean sheet in that period. * Ramon Nunez recorded his fifth assist of the season for Fort Lauderdale against Puerto Rico. * Jose Angulo scored his fifth goal of the season against Puerto Rico on Saturday and his 12th as a member of the Strikers. * Julius James recorded his first assist of the season in Wednesday's 1-0 win over Edmonton.
About the Fort Lauderdale Strikers The Fort Lauderdale Strikers are part of the 13-team North American Soccer League (NASL). Fort Lauderdale has made the postseason four times in five NASL Modern Era seasons. The club's history dates back to 1977 and the original NASL. The Strikers play at Central Broward Regional Park & Stadium. For more information, visit Strikers.com or follow @FTLStrikers on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram .
• Discuss this story on the North American Soccer League message board...
North American Soccer League Stories from October 18, 2016
- Final Home Game of the Season - North Carolina FC
- Rayo OKC Midfielder Michel Named NASL Player of the Week - Minnesota United FC
- Fort Lauderdale Strikers Chasing Historical Feat - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.