Former Indianapolis Colt signs with Grand Rapids
The Grand Rapids Rampage continues to aggressively upgrade its offense with the signing of 2005 AFL reception leader Aaron Bailey. Bailey is the latest high-profile free agent, along with QB Raymond Philyaw, DS Marvin Taylor, FB/LB Chris Ryan and All-Arena lineman Tim Martin, to sign with the Rampage in the past three weeks. The contract is for two years - no financial terms were disclosed.
"Aaron is a dominant receiver in this game - he will be a huge threat in our offense," said Rampage head coach Sparky McEwen. "With Aaron and Raymond Philyaw on board, Grand Rapids is in store for a lot of excitement over the next two seasons."
Over his four-year AFL career, Bailey (6'01" 190 lbs., Louisville) has established himself as one of the top offensive specialists in the league. Last season, Bailey led the league with 144 receptions - second most in AFL single-season history - for 1,694 receiving yards and 37 touchdowns. Prior to playing in the Arena Football League, Bailey spent five seasons with the Indianapolis Colts.
"I'm excited to play near home in the state of Michigan and help turn this franchise into a perennial playoff team again," said Ann Arbor native and Pioneer High graduate Aaron Bailey. "The Rampage has tremendous upside and their record last year was quite deceiving. They have an unbelievable corps of young talented players from last year on this team with some great veteran free-agent signings. Teams will have to take the Rampage serious from now on."
"The Rampage organization is committed to bringing Grand Rapids another championship," stated McEwen. "Premier players like Aaron see this commitment and want to be a part of it."
Rampage 2006 season tickets are now on sale. To reserve your season tickets for hard-hitting, high scoring, non-stop Rampage football on Centennial Wireless Field at Van Andel Arena, call the Rampage offices at 1.888.595.4878 or log on to RampageFootball.com.
The 20th season of Arena Football and fourth on NBC kicks off the weekend of Sunday, January 29, 2006. Tune in on WOOD-TV channel 8 in the Grand Rapids area all season long for the Rampage's drive to ArenaBowl XX.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from November 1, 2005
- The OSC interview: Philadelphia Soul Quarterback Matt Sauk - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Crush name Gilham director of communications - Colorado Crush
- Rush sign electrifying QB Michael Bishop - Chicago Rush
- Former Indianapolis Colt signs with Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Rampage Stories
- Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz Hold Open Player Tryout in Grand Rapids
- Former Rampage Player Leif Murphy Back with the IFL's Storm
- Rage Dance Team Pom & Dance Challenge
- Rage Dance Team to Perform at Davenport Basketball Games
- AFL Suspends 2009 Season; Rampage Prepare for Future