Florida Hits the Road with Stops in Mississauga, Utica this Weekend
LAKELAND, Fla. - The Florida Tropics SC will hit the road for the first of three back-to-back away games this season when they meet the Mississauga MetroStars Saturday afternoon, Dec. 8 in suburban Toronto and Sunday, Dec. 9 when they travel to meet Utica City FC.
The Tropics are coming off a successful debut of the 2018-19 season with a win at home last Saturday against the now division rival St. Louis Ambush. Victor Parreiras scored twice, and Florida got goals from seven other players in the 9-4 win. The Tropics are now 3-0 lifetime in both season and home openers.
Mississauga is new this year in the MASL, and their maiden voyage was a tough assignment, in Baltimore against the three-time defending league champion Baltimore Blast. The MetroStars fell, 11-3. This will be their first home game of the season. Kickoff is at 3:05 p.m.
The Tropics then travel down the New York State Thruway to take on Utica City FC on Sunday in a 2:05 start. Utica was the only team two win twice in the MASL's opening weekend, coming from behind to post a 9-7 triumph in Harrisburg and then marking their first-ever home game with a 5-2 win over the Blast.
Florida will be shorthanded Saturday. With immigration issues not allowing a number of players to travel, the Tropics will only dress a handful of regulars, with the rest of the team being signed from Canadian players approved to play.
Freddy Moojen will not be making the trip while still nursing a leg injury. Ricardo Diegues is also out following sports hernia surgery this week, and is aiming for a return in late December or early January. Those two combined to score 50 of the team's 141 goals a season ago.
Florida will be back at home Friday, Dec. 14, to host the Harrisburg Heat. Kickoff is 7:35 for the lone Friday night game on the Tropics 12-game home schedule. The remainder of the season's home schedule will fall on Saturday nights, with two Sunday matinees in March. For ticket and team information, go to www.fltropics.com. All MASL games are broadcast live at www.masl.tv.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from December 7, 2018
- Florida Hits the Road with Stops in Mississauga, Utica this Weekend - Florida Tropics SC
- Utica Adds Roster Depth Ahead of Weekend Matches - Utica City FC
- MetroStars Home Opener Saturday - Mississauga MetroStars
- St. Louis Ambush Sign Goalkeeper Marijo Musa - St. Louis Ambush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Tropics SC Stories
- Guilherme's Hat Trick Not Enough as Tropics Fall to Utica City FC, 8-5
- Mississauga Shuts out Tropics, 10-0
- Florida Hits the Road with Stops in Mississauga, Utica this Weekend
- Tropics Add Multiple Players Ahead of Canada Showdown
- Three-Point Game Earns Guilherme MASL Recognition