The Louisville Fire will take on the Birmingham Steeldogs Friday night in Freedom Hall at 7:30 P.M. The Fire (0-2) is searching for their first win of the season while the Steeldogs (1-1) are looking to improve to 2-1 on the campaign.
The two teams will bring in impressive defenses Friday night. The Fire is ranked fourth in total defense giving up just 217 yards a game and eighth in scoring defense surrendering 42 points a game. The Steeldogs come into Freedom Hall giving up 40 points a game, good enough for a number five rank. Both teams have players ranked in the top 10 in the league in interceptions, Kabote Sikyala and Jeremy Chandler for the Fire and Bobby Keyes for the Steeldogs are all tied for third with two interceptions.
On the offensive side of the ball, Fire offensive specialist Rob Mager is in the league's top 10 averaging 7.5 receptions a game. Wide receiver/defensive back Cesare Manning is ranked ninth in yards per reception (16.2). Birmingham offensive specialist Kerry Wright has been impressive so far this season leading the league in points scored (21.0/Game) and all purpose yards (192.0 a game).
On special teams Fire kicker Dave Hendrix is ranked first in the league in field goal accuracy (75%) and first in points scored kicking averaging 8.5 a game. Steeldogs kick Alex Walls is third in field goal accuracy (25%).
Tickets for the Friday's game start at just $5 and can be purchase by visiting www.ticketmaster.com. The first 1,000 kids 12 & under will receive a Louisville Fire t-shirt.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from April 19, 2006
- Firecats Players to Speak at East Lee High School Career Day - Florida Firecats
- Eat With the Quad City Steamwheelers on Monday, April 24 at the Chargrill in South Park Mall - Quad City Steamwheelers
- Playmaker returns, Childress suspended - Alabama Vipers
- Memphis holds top spot in coaches poll - af2
- Southern University Marching Band the Measure of Success - Green Bay Blizzard
- Fire/Steeldogs Preview - Louisville Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.