FC Kansas City to Take On Chicago
PRAIRIE VILLAGE, Kan - After a victory in Seattle, FC Kansas City is making one last stop in Chicago to wrap up their three-game road trip. The 1-0 victory over the Reign put the Blues' in fourth place overall in the National Women's Soccer League standings. With Kansas City and Chicago coming off important wins and six FC Kansas City players on international duty, this game will be one to watch. The highly anticipated match will take place at Benedictine University Sports Complex in Lisle, Ill. on Thursday at 6:30 PM CT.
Sunday, FC Kansas City took on Seattle Reign FC in Tukwila, Wash. and left with a 1-0 victory. The Blues' were missing the Mexican allocated star forward, Renae Cuellar due to injury suffered in the previous game against Portland. Seattle's star goalkeeper, Hope Solo started and made the backfield for the Reign stronger than it has been so far this season saving 6 of the 7 shots on goal. Kansas City goalkeeper Nicole Barnhart earned her fourth clean sheet saving all four shots on goal from Seattle. Erika Tymrak, midfielder for FC Kansas City scored the only goal of the match. The goal, scored in the 63rd minute, marked the second goal in as many games for Tymrak.
The Chicago Red Stars gained a win over the Boston Breakers in Chicago on Sunday. Midfielder, Lori Chalupny put the Red Stars on the board early in the match with a goal in the 26th minute. The win against Boston is a momentum shift for Chicago; this was the first at home. Chicago took down Portland while their stars were away for international duty just before the game against Boston. The win over Portland on the road carried over to the game against Boston early on. The Red Stars dominated possession and only allowed four shots on goal from Boston. Ella Masar was close to a second goal for Chicago but Boston goalkeeper, Ashley Phillips was there to save the shot.
The match on Thursday will mark the first time the clubs have met this season. Between the two clubs, eight players will be missing for international duty. Lauren Cheney, Kristie Mewis, Becky Sauerbrunn and Nicole Barnhart have been called up for the United States National Women's Team. Lauren Sesselmann and Desiree Scott have been called up for the Canadian National Women's Team. Chicago will be missing goalkeeper Erin Mcleod and defender Carmelina Moscato; they have been called up to the Canadian National Team as well. With six starters being gone for international duty, FC Kansas City has called up three amateur players for the game on Thursday. Natalie Norris, Jaime French and Missy Geha have been training with the team since the beginning of the season and get the opportunity to suit up for the full squad for the first time Thursday night.
FC Kansas City fans are invited out to watch the match at the Futbol Club Eatery and Tap. Located at 12030 Blue Valley Parkway in Overland Park, the restaurant is the Official Watch Party Site for FC Kansas City. Kick off will be at 6:30 PM Central Time on Thursday, June 9. The Blues' are headed home after this match to play against Chicago again on Verizon Wireless Field, Sunday June 16th.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from June 13, 2013
- FC Kansas City Shuts out Chicago - FC Kansas City
- Red Stars Drop Match to FC Kansas City 2-0 - Chicago Red Stars
- Thorns FC Weekly Update - Portland Thorns FC
- NWSL Announces 2013 National TV Schedule - Chicago Red Stars
- Flash Call Up Amateur Forward Ashley Grove - Western New York Flash
- NWSL and Fox Sports Media Group Announce 2013 National TV Schedule - Sky Blue FC
- NWSL Announces 2013 National TV Schedule - FC Kansas City
- NWSL and FOX Sports Media Group Announce 2013 National TV Schedule - Seattle Reign FC
- Flash Announce Schedule Changes Due to Televised Games - Western New York Flash
- Thorns FC Announce Upcoming Televised Matches - Portland Thorns FC
- NWSL Announces National TV Schedule - NWSL
- FC Kansas City to Take On Chicago - FC Kansas City
- Red Stars Make Roster Moves Ahead of Kansas City Series - Chicago Red Stars
- Flash Prepare For Well-rested Spirit Without Some Stars - Western New York Flash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.