FC Kansas City Begins 2017 with New Ownership
KANSAS CITY- The National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) announced today that Elam Bear, CEO of North Central Equity, LLC is taking over operation of FC Kansas City (FCKC). The team enters into its fifth season with plenty of reason for optimism.
Brad Likens, one of FC Kansas City's founders said, "This is a good day for Kansas City, one of the greatest sports towns in the United States. With Elam and his partners committed to the club and our region, I know our organization will be stronger than ever and that this move is not only good for the team, and our fans, but the league as a whole. While there are no certainties in sports, I know FC Kansas City will take the field on opening day poised to compete for another NWSL championship."
"I'm honored to be a part of the future of FCKC, whether that is on game day or in the greater Kansas City community," said Baer. "I am fortunate to be joined by exceptional partners who want the same thing that I do, and that's a club built for long-term stability and success in Kansas City."
Baer added that he has spoken with Head Coach Vlatko Andonovski and supports his goal to find the right mix of players to bring his team back to championship form.
"On behalf of the league and its owners, I welcome Elam to the NWSL and look forward to working with him and his partners as a new era begins for FC Kansas City," NWSL Commissioner Jeff Plush said. "Elam is committed to strengthening FC Kansas City's roots throughout the entire Kansas City metropolitan area and beyond. Elam and his partners will look to build off of what has been started by the Likens family, whose support of and many contributions to the establishment and growth of the league will never be forgotten."
Newly named General Manager, Jean-Yves Viardin, also joins Andonovski on the Executive Staff. Viardin brings with him both executive management and playing experience.
While Andonovski puts together the most productive team on the field, Baer and Viardin will work to fill out their front office staff. The current staff has split their time between FC Kansas City and the Kansas City Comets of the Major Arena Soccer League. The Comets will remain under the ownership of Chris, Brad and Greg Likens and some of the staff will be retained by the group.
FC Kansas City is a founding member and proud two-time champion of the National Women's Soccer League. Fans can keep up-to-date on the most recent club news by following the Blues' official Twitter account (@FCKansasCity).
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from January 11, 2017
- Houston Dash Set for NWSL College Draft - Houston Dash
- FC Kansas City Begins 2017 with New Ownership - FC Kansas City
- North Carolina Courage to Participate in 2017 NWSL College Draft in Los Angeles California - North Carolina Courage
- U.S. Soccer to Host Second Annual SheBelieves Cup Featuring USA, England, France and Germany - NWSL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Kansas City Stories
- NWSL ANNOUNCES FC KANSAS CITY TO CEASE OPERATIONS
- FC Kansas City and Vlatko Andonovski Part Ways
- FC Kansas City Sends Two Players to Canada for International Friendlies
- BECKY SAUERBRUNN SET TO LEAD U.S. WOMEN'S NATIONAL TEAM AGAINST TEAM CANADA
- 2018 NWSL COLLEGE DRAFT TO BE HELD IN PHILADELPHIA ON January 18