FC Edmonton Announces 2020 Season Schedule
EDMONTON, AB - FC Edmonton's schedule of games for the 2020 Canadian Premier League (CPL) season has been finalized, the club's front office announced today.
The club's Season Opener is on Sunday, August 16 versus Forge FC, with the first kick scheduled for 1:00 pm Mountain Time (4:00 pm Atlantic Time).
The first Al Classico match in 2020 versus Cavalry FC is the club's second match of the season just four days later on Thursday, August 20. The "Battle of Alberta" kicks off at 12:00 pm MST.
Additionally, this season an old rivalry with the country's Capital City will be reborn when the Eddies take to the pitch versus Atletico Ottawa for the first time on Sunday, August 23. Ottawa begins its first season in the CPL in 2020 as the league's first expansion franchise and its eighth club overall. The two cities faced each other more than a dozen times when FC Edmonton and the Ottawa Fury competed in the North American Soccer League (NASL) between 2014 and 2017.
The season will begin with an eight-club first stage with each team playing each other once (28-game total first phase). The top four clubs, based on total points and tiebreakers from the first stage, will advance to the second round six-match group phase. Then the season will culminate with the top two clubs emerging from the group phase competing in a single match League Final, with the winner being crowned the 2020 CPL Champion in September.
The made-for-TV 2020 season will commence on Thursday, August 13 with a rematch between the 2019 season finalists, Forge FC vs Cavalry FC. All matches will be broadcast exclusively via the CPL's media partner OneSoccer. Fans will be able to watch every match with the a Season Membership to The Collective, available for purchase at https://fcedmonton.canpl.ca/thecollective or by calling the club's business office at 780-700-2600.
Notes of Interest Regarding FC Edmonton's 2020 Season Schedule:
- The club plays three (3) matches on Sundays, and one (1) match each on a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.
- The club is designated as the "home team" for three (3) matches, and the "away team" for four (4). This designation will determine each club's kit selection.
- The club plays two (2) matches at 10 am, two (2) matches at 12 noon, two (2) matches at 1:00 pm, and one (1) match at 6:00 pm (all times MST).
- There are four games with a three-day turnaround time, with a four-day turnaround between the club's first and second matches, and a five-day turnaround between the sixth and seventh matches.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Premier League message board...
Canadian Premier League Stories from August 10, 2020
- FC Edmonton Announces 2020 Season Schedule - FC Edmonton
- Canadian Premier League Releases the Island Games 2020 Schedule Presented by Westjet - Forge FC
- Canadian Premier League Releases the Island Games 2020 Schedule, Presented by WestJet - Cavalry FC
- Canadian Premier League Releases the Island Games 2020 Schedule Presented by Westjet - CPL
- HFX Wanderers FC Announce Team Captains for 2020 Season - HFX Wanderers FC
- Valour FC Acquire Defenders on Loan - Valour FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.