Eugénie Le Sommer Joins OL Reign on Loan from OL
TACOMA, WA. - OL Reign has signed French international forward Eugénie Le Sommer on loan from Olympique Lyonnais. The loan will commence at the end of OL's 2020/2021 season and run through December 2021.
Le Sommer, 31, is a native of Grasse, France. She played internationally for the French Women's National Team at the U17, U19, and U20 levels before making her senior national team debut in 2009, where she came on as a substitute against the Republic of Ireland. Le Sommer has amassed 175 appearances for France and notched 86 goals while playing in the 2009, 2013 and 2017 UEFA Women's European Championship, 2012 and 2016 Olympic Games, and the 2011, 2015 and 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup.
Le Sommer began her professional career with Stade Briochin in D1 Féminine for the 2007-2008 season, where she played in all 22 league matches and scored 4 goals. She made 71 appearances for Stade Briochin from 2007-2010, scoring 38 goals across all competitions. Le Sommer earned her first UNFP Female Player of the Year nomination after the 2008-2009 season. The following season Le Sommer was the top scorer in the league and was awarded the UNFP Female Player of the Year honor in 2010. She went on to receive the award again in 2015.
Le Sommer moved to Olympique Lyonnais for the 2010-11 season. In her 11 seasons with OL, Le Sommer won the Division 1 Féminine 10 times, won the Coupe de France Féminine trophy eight times, and has won the UEFA Women's Champions League seven times. She has scored a total of 274 goals for OL across all competitions.
"It is great to have such an extraordinary player join our team," said OL Reign head coach Farid Benstiti. "Le Sommer has been consistent for Lyon and is a very intelligent player. She will bring quality and effectiveness with her to our team. I am looking forward to seeing how she impacts our game."
"I'm really excited to join OL Reign, it's a new challenge for me and I'm ready to take it! I have been following the league for many years and it's one of the best leagues in the world," said Le Sommer. "I can't wait to play my first game and meet the OL Reign fans at Cheney Stadium. I'm also really happy to enjoy the connection between OL and OL Reign that allows me to stay in OL family."
Le Sommer is expected to join OL Reign after the June FIFA international window, where she will meet up with current Olympique Lyonnais teammates Dzsenifer Marozsán and Sarah Bouhaddi.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from May 12, 2021
- Thorns FC Announce Multi-Year Partnership Deal with FOX 12 and FOX 12 Plus - Portland Thorns FC
- National Women's Soccer League and IHeartMedia Kick off the 2021 Season with First-Ever Live Audio Streaming Coverage of League Games - NWSL
- Kansas City NWSL Individual Match Tickets on Sale - Kansas City
- Eugénie Le Sommer Joins OL Reign on Loan from OL - OL Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent OL Reign Stories
- OL Reign Sign Jimena López Through 2023 Season
- OL Reign and Sounders FC Announce Historic Doubleheader on August 29 at Lumen Field
- OL Reign Sign USWNT Defender Alana Cook Through 2023 Season
- OL Reign Take Frustrating Loss against Gotham FC
- Reign Extend Contract of Forward Ally Watt Through 2023