Drive Re-Acquire Ismael Romero
GRAND RAPIDS, MICH - The Grand Rapids Drive, the NBA D-League Affiliate of the Detroit Pistons announced today that the team has re-acquired returning rights player Ismael Romero.
Romero, the 6-foot-8, 220-pound forward from Santa Clara, Cuba attended the Universidad del Turabo (2011-2015) before being selected in the fourth (4th) round of the 2015 NBA Development League Draft by the Grand Rapids Drive. In 27 games with the Drive, Romero averaged 5.4 points and 4.9 rebounds per game. Following the 2015-16 NBA D-League season, Romero signed (April 2016) with Atleticos de San German of the Puerto Rican League. During his first debut, he recorded 11 points, three (3) rebounds, three (3) assists and one (1) steal in 17 minutes. On May 26, he was named the Baloncesto Superior Nacional (BSN) Rookie of the Year. In August 2016, Romero signed with the Liga Nacional de Baloncesto Profesional (LNBP), a top professional basketball league in Mexico where he plays for the Mexican team Panteras de Aguascalientes. Romero is the team's leading scorer and rebounder and is averaging 19.3 points, 8.3 rebounds per game.
Romero will wear jersey number 25 while with the team.
The first home game of the new year is tomorrow, Wednesday, Jan. 4 at 7 PM (doors open at 6 PM) when the Drive host the Westchester Knicks at the DeltaPlex Arena. Tomorrow's game is another $2 Wednesday presented by Meijer and will feature $2 tickets, $2 beer/soda, and $2 popcorn.
The Drive waived guard Alex Johnson. While with the team, Johnson appeared in 10 games averaging 2.1 points, one (1) assist, and 1.3 rebound in 7.8 min per game.
For ticket information, contact the Drive Box Office at 844-GR-DRIVE (844-473-7483) or go online to www.nbagrandrapids.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 4, 2017
- Westchester Knicks Lose Control at the Finish Line, Fall to Grand - Westchester Knicks
- Drive Earn Comeback Win over Knicks - Grand Rapids Drive
- Red Claws Hang on in Delaware - Maine Red Claws
- Drive Re-Acquire Ismael Romero - Grand Rapids Drive
- Memphis Grizzlies Recall Troy Williams From Iowa Energy - Iowa Wolves
- Slow Third Quarter Sinks BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Texas Legends Care Nominated for Non-Profit of the Year - Texas Legends
- Lakers Assign Zubac to Los Angeles D-Fenders - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Detroit Pistons Assign Forward Henry Ellenson To Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Drive
- Austin Spurs To Hold First Responders Appreciation Game January 8 - Austin Spurs
- Erie BayHawks to Launch Mentorship Month with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Erie County - Erie BayHawks
- Knicks Assignment - Westchester Knicks
- D-Fenders Win in Reno, Move to 15-5 on the Year - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Patterson's 33 Points Not Enough to Hold off La - Reno Bighorns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.