Diegues earns MVP, Offensive Player of year in voting by Tropics fans
Ricardo Diegues earned both Most Valuable Player and Offensive Player of the Year honors in a vote of Tropics fans that was revealed before the start of Saturday night's final home regular season against the San Diego Sockers.
Diegues has set team records this year with 21 goals and 32 total points. He was tied for the team lead in goals in the 2016-27 season with 17 along with Freddy Moojen, who was voted Most Popular Player by fans.
Moojen, who is team captain and also serves as assistant coach, is tied for second on the team in goals this year with 14 and second in points with 26.
Lucas Montelares was named Defender of the year. He leads the team in shots blocked with 22, and his chipped in with two goals and five assists.
Newcomer of the year honors went to Lucas Coutinho who played last summer with the New York Cosmos. In 15 games, he has seven goals and four assists.
The Tropics will be on the road for their final four games, starting this Friday, Jan. 23 for a 7:05 start in Harrisburg, followed by a 6:05 kickoff Saturday, Jan. 24, in Baltimore. Both games will be broadcast live at www.masl.tv. The Tropics trail the Syracuse Silver Knights by two games for the final playoff spot in the Major Arena Soccer League's eastern division. Syracuse's magic number for clinching the final post-season berth in the division is one.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from February 19, 2018
- Diegues earns MVP, Offensive Player of year in voting by Tropics fans - Florida Tropics SC
- Gurson, Hauss End Long Weekend with 11-4 Rout of Barracudas - Cedar Rapids Rampage
- Barracudas drop last home game - Rio Grande Valley Barracudas FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Tropics SC Stories
- Diegues Nets Team Record Five as Tropics Roll Past Kansas City Comets, 12-8
- Slow Start Dooms Tropics in 6-3 Loss at Orlando; KC Visits for Sunday Matinee
- Last Three Tropics Home Games Will be Broadcast Live in National Markets
- Diegues Earns All MASL Honorable Mention for Record-Tying Game
- Diegues Nets Four But It's Not Enough as Tropics Fall to St. Louis, 7-6