Crush's McKenzie named Ironman of the Week
NEW YORK - Colorado Crush wide receiver/defensive Kevin McKenzie has been named the Arena Football League's U.S. Army Ironman of the Week for Week 2 of the 2004 season, it was announced today.
McKenzie (5-11, 183, Washington State), in his third AFL season and first with the Crush, scored touchdowns on a 37-yard reception and a three-yard run on offense, and on a 44-yard interception return on defense to lead the Crush to a 55-37 victory over the Grand Rapids Rampage on February 14. He finished with four receptions for 58 yards, and recorded 2.5 tackles in addition to the interception on the defensive end.
With the victory, the Crush improved their record to 2-0 on the season and have equaled 2003's win total.
This marks the second time that the former Cougar has earned an AFL weekly honor.
The U.S. Army Ironman of the Week honors the best player who participates on both offense and defense for his team. The candidates that McKenzie beat out for the award included: Austin's Charlie Davidson, Carolina's Damien Groce, Chicago's DeJuan Alfonzo, Dallas' Will Pettis, Detroit's Thabiti Davis, Georgia's Markeith Cooper, Los Angeles' Kevin Ingram, New Orleans' B.J. Cohen
The 2-0 Crush travel to Chicago to face the Rush on Sunday, February 22, 2004 at 1 p.m. MST. The game will be televised by NBC. The next Crush home game will be Friday, Feb. 27 vs. the Austin Wranglers. Single game tickets start at just $7 and can be purchased by calling (303) 830-TIXS or by logging on to ticketmaster.com. Season tickets for the 2004 season are also currently on sale and start at just $10 per game. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit the team's official website, www.coloradocrush.com, or call (303) 352-1000.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from February 17, 2004
- Austin Wranglers game notes - Austin Wranglers
- Los Angeles Avengers game notes - Los Angeles Avengers
- Columbus Destroyers game notes - Columbus Destroyers
- Colorado Crush game notes - Colorado Crush
- Crush's McKenzie named Ironman of the Week - Colorado Crush
- Competition for $25,000 grand prize begins this week - AFL I
- Detroit Fury game notes - Detroit Fury
- Chicago Rush game notes - Chicago Rush
- Georgia Force game notes - Georgia Force
- Tampa Bay Storm game notes - Tampa Bay Storm
- Q&A: Colorado QB John Dutton - AFL I
- Georgia's Cooper, Los Angeles' Ingram and Colorado's McKenzie earn week two honors - AFL I
- New Orleans VooDoo game notes - New Orleans VooDoo
- Las Vegas Gladiators game notes - Las Vegas Gladiators
- Grand Rapids Rampage game notes - Grand Rapids Rampage
- New York Dragons game notes - New York Dragons
- Georgia Force's Markeith Cooper named AFL Offensive Player of the Week - Georgia Force
- Georgia Force honors Georgia Tech football legends - Georgia Force
- Rush Helps Salvation Army Celebrate Holidays - Chicago Rush
- Arizona Rattlers game notes - Arizona Rattlers
- Indiana Firebirds game notes - Albany/Indiana Firebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.