Crush sign two-time Kicker of the Year Clay Rush
DENVER - The Colorado Crush have signed two-time AFL Kicker of the Year Clay Rush, the team announced today, the first day in which teams are permitted to sign free agents. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released.
Rush, a 6-3, 220-pound placekicker, out of Missouri Western, is a six-year AFL veteran who spent the past two seasons kicking for the Indiana Firebirds, playing for Dailey in 2003. From 1999-2002 Rush played for the Iowa Barnstormers/New York Dragons franchise.
"We're excited about getting Clay," said Crush head coach Mike Dailey. "I've had the opportunity of working with him in the past in Indiana. He's a true professional with great leg strength and will be a great addition to our program."
Rush led the league with 47 touchbacks on kickoffs during the 2004 season and finished seventh in scoring (by kickers), hitting 84-of-100 extra-points and 15-of-36 field-goal attempts for the Firebirds. He also converted the league's longest field goal of the season, a 59-yarder, in a 64-41 win at Austin on March 14.
Rush was named AFL Kicker of the Year in both 2000 and 2003, and was also selected to the All-Arena First Team both years. In 2001, Rush made an AFL-record 110 extra-points, including a record 13 made PATs vs. Carolina on July 7, 2001.
Teams have been contacting and negotiating with free agents since September 1, but were prohibited from officially signing players until October 1. Following the Rush signing, the Crush roster now stands at 28 players currently under contract for the 2005 season, with a maximum of 37 players that can be invited to training camp. Camp will start the first week of January.
The Colorado Crush kick off their third season in January and deposits for season tickets are currently being accepted. The Crush sales staff is available for renewals and new ticket deposits from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday thru Friday at (303)-352-1000.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from October 1, 2004
- Crush sign two-time Kicker of the Year Clay Rush - Colorado Crush
- Georgia Force sign top free agents on first day - Georgia Force
- Columbus Destroyers sign three former Buckeyes as free agency begins - Columbus Destroyers
- Colorado Crush to hold Crush Girls audition - Colorado Crush
- Wranglers set open tryout date - Austin Wranglers
- Big recruiting weekend for Preds - Orlando Predators
- Free agent signing period opens today - AFL I
- Wranglers bring back Briggs and Pesavento, sign Hurst - Austin Wranglers
- Rampage Sign Avery, Anes and Coleman - Grand Rapids Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.