Clarke named SPHL Defenseman of the Year
[FAYETTEVILLE, N.C.] - The Fayetteville FireAntz of the Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) announced today that Mike Clarke was named SPHL Defenseman of the Year. The news comes one day after Clarke was named to the First-Team All-SPHL Defense corps.
"Mike has excelled with the FireAntz this season, logging a ton of ice time." Head Coach Derek Booth said, "I think he is well deserving of this award. Few defensemen can do the things that Mike Clarke does and the FireAntz are lucky to have him."
Clarke, a native of Toronto, Ontario, was the leading scorer among defensemen in the SPHL. Clarke tallied nine goals and 58 assists. His 67 points ranked him second on the club and ninth, overall, in the SPHL. Clarke also was a +22 for the season.
"I've gotten a great opportunity to get a lot of ice time this season." Mike Clarke added, "Being an offensive defenseman, I have to rely on my teammates and this award is a direct reflection on them."
The FireAntz quest for the President's Cup begins this Friday as the FireAntz travel to Florida to take on the Seals. Their first home game of the 2005-06 playoffs is Saturday, March 25th at 7:35pm.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2006
- Pee Dee Cyclones start SPHL Playoffs Friday @ Florence Civic Center - Twin City Cyclones
- Clarke named SPHL Defenseman of the Year - Fayetteville Marksmen
- SPHL Defenseman of the Year - SPHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fayetteville Marksmen Stories
- State Restrictions Force Season Cancellation for Marksmen, Several SPHL Teams
- Leading Goal Scorer Bowen Re-Signs for 2020-21 Season
- Fan-Favorite Josh Victor Returns to Marksmen for Sophomore Season
- Marksmen Honored as Southeastern United States Sports Team of the Year
- Olivieri Onboard for Second Marksmen Season