Cedar Rapids Sign Defensive Back
CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA - The Cedar Rapids River Kings have signed defensive back Damante Horton to its 2019 roster.
Horton (5'10", 195) is a Washington State alum. Playing four years as a Cougar, he finished his career playing in 43 total games and totaling 121 tackles with 93 solos and 28 assists. Horton was named to the 2011 All-Pac-12 Honorable Mention list, and named to Phil Steele's All-Pac-12 Conference Second Team. He tied for the Pac-12 lead with four interceptions that same year, including an interception in four consecutive games. He had three tackles and returned an interception for 76 yards for a touchdown to earn WSU Defensive Player of the Week and Big Play honors in a game against number seven Oregon.
As a senior Horton tallied 49 total tackles, 42 of which were solos. He had three interceptions on the season, two of which came during a Cougar upset of number 22 USC and one he returned 70 yards for a touchdown. That, and two tackles for loss for 12 total yards, earned him Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week and Athlon's National Defensive Player of the Week honors.
Horton is from Oakland, California where he played football for Oakland High School. He was named First-Team All-Oakland Athletic League and First-Team All-East Bay after recording more than 100 tackles on defense.
Images from this story
Defensive back Damante Horton with Washington State
• Discuss this story on the Indoor Football League message board...
Indoor Football League Stories from February 8, 2019
- "Guy Talk" with Coach Kevin Guy Returns February 20th on NBC Sports Radio 1060 AM - Arizona Rattlers
- Cedar Rapids Sign Defensive Back - Cedar Rapids River Kings
- Rattlers Game against Tucson on Sunday June 9th to be Moved to Saturday June 8th - Arizona Rattlers
- Nebraska Danger Coaches, Tommy Armstrong Jr. to Hold Kearney Kids Camp - Nebraska Danger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.