CBS Broadcast of Washington Kastles vs. Vegas Rollers Draws Record Numbers
July 21, 2020 - World TeamTennis (WTT) News Release
CBS Television Network's broadcast of the World TeamTennis match on July 19 (1:30-3:30 PM ET/10:30 AM-12:30 PM PT) between the Vegas Rollers and Washington Kastles delivered 484,000 viewers, the most in the league's 45-year history. The Washington Kastles, led by Venus Williams and Arina Rodionova, defeated the Vegas Rollers, led by the Bryan Brothers (Bob and Mike Bryan) and Sam Querrey, 24-18.
The previous viewership record for World TeamTennis occurred on July 21, 2019, with the league's debut on CBS for a match featuring the Philadelphia Freedoms and Vegas Rollers. That telecast delivered 409,000 viewers.
"We are thrilled that tennis fans are tuning in to see some of the biggest names in the sport compete in our event, the first major tournament in the U.S. since the pandemic, and are hopeful that this is just the beginning in the continued growth of team tennis," said WTT CEO Carlos Silva.
World TeamTennis will air its championship match live on broadcast TV for the first time when CBS presents the WTT Final on Sunday, Aug. 2 at Noon ET/9 AM PT.
Washington Kastles def. VEGAS ROLLERS 24-18
Women's Doubles - Arina RodionovaVenus Williams (Kastles) def. Asia MuhammadKristie Ahn (Rollers) 5-1
Mixed Doubles - Bernarda PeraMarcelo Arevalo (Kastles) def. Kristie AhnMike Bryan (Rollers) 5-4
Women's Singles - Kristie Ahn (Rollers) def. Venus Williams (Kastles) 5-4
Men's Singles - Tommy Paul (Kastles) def. Sam Querrey (Rollers) 5-4
Men's Doubles - Nick MonroeMarcelo Arevalo (Kastles) def. Mike BryanBob Bryan (Rollers) 5-4
• Discuss this story on the World TeamTennis message board...
World TeamTennis Stories from July 21, 2020
- Vegas Wins Crucial Match against Orange County as Playoff Race Heats Up - Vegas Rollers
- Philadelphia Alone in First Place After Topping Chicago - Philadelphia Freedoms
- Springfield Jumps out Early, Holds off New York in Extended Play - Springfield Lasers
- CBS Broadcast of Washington Kastles vs. Vegas Rollers Draws Record Numbers - WTT
- Springfield Lasers Get Back on the Winning Track, Stop the New York Empire - New York Empire
- Jessica Pegula Carries Orlando to Victory against Washington; Storm Rolls 23-17 - Orlando Storm
- Kastles Overwhelm Querrey & Bryans to Defeat Rollers, 24-18, Claim 3rd Place in WTT Standings - Washington Kastles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.