Bullpen Unable To Hold Lead For Rolison
LAKE ELSINORE, Calif. - The JetHawks couldn't hold on to a late lead and fell to the Lake Elsinore Storm, 5-4, on Sunday afternoon at The Diamond.
The Storm (32-29) scored two runs in the seventh and eighth innings against the Lancaster bullpen to win and have now taken the first three games of this five-game series.
Ryan Rolison exited after six innings. The left-hander had allowed only one run on three hits with seven strikeouts. He walked only one batter.
Salvador Justo entered in the seventh with a 3-1 lead and gave up a solo home run to Gabriel Arias. It was Arias' second home run of the game and it brought the Storm within a run. Eguy Rosario singled with one out, stole second and scored on a two-out hit from Jalen Washington to tie the game.
The JetHawks (29-32) regained the lead in the eighth. Carlos Herrera reached on an error to start the inning and Luis Castro followed with a walk. The two runners were bunted up by Ryan Vilade, and Herrera scored on a Sean Bouchard sac-fly. The go-ahead run in the eighth scored without reliever Seth Blair (1-0) allowing a hit.
Nate Harris (2-4) was unable to protect the lead in the eighth. Campusano and Arias singled with one out before Rosario delivered a two-out single the centefield. Campusano scored to tie the game, and Arias was able to come home on a Luis Castro error to give Lake Elsinore the lead.
Evan Miller pitched a perfect ninth inning for his league-leading 10th save.
Herrera homered in the fourth inning. The solo shot was his fourth home run in his last five games.
The series continues on Monday in Lake Elsinore. Garrett Schilling will start for the JetHawks against rehabbing right-hander Dinelson Lamet. First pitch is 6 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from June 9, 2019
- Ports Outlast Giants 10-8, Win Fifth Straight - Stockton Ports
- Quakes Hold on for Sunday Win, Magic Number at 3 - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Bullpen Unable To Hold Lead For Rolison - Lancaster JetHawks
- Early Offense Paves Way to a 4-2 Storm Win - Lake Elsinore Storm
- Rawhide Lose Two In-A-Row at Home for the First Time in 2019 - Visalia Rawhide
- Ports Upend Giants 8-7 in Thriller - Stockton Ports
- Quakes Win Again in IE, Magic Number Down to Four - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.