Bompastor named WPS Player of the Week, Wambach issues statement on Daniela injury
BOYDS, Md. - For the second time in as many weeks, a Washington Freedom player has been named the WPS Player of the Week. With two goals, including the game-tying goal in the 90th minute, in a 3-3 draw with Saint Louis, midfielder Sonia Bompastor was awarded the honor by the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR).
Bompastor's two goals on Sunday were her first as a member of the Freedom, although she did record the assist on the team's first WPS goal back on April 11 against Chicago. Both of Bompastor's goals were scored with her head.
This is the second straight week a two-goal scorer has been named Player of the Week. Abby Wambach won the award the previous week for her two goal, one assist performance against FC Gold Pride, which included the game-winner in stoppage time.
Also released this afternoon was a statement from Wambach in regards to the injury suffered by Saint Louis Athletica's Daniela on Sunday. Daniela has a crack in her tibia and two damaged knee ligaments as a result of a tackle by Wambach.
"In regards to the injury Daniela sustained during our game, the thing I need to convey most is how hard it is for a player who has sustained a significant injury in the past year to now be on the other side of it," Wambach said. "It's been crucial for me to find out exactly what injuries Daniela has sustained because of how important I know she is to the Saint Louis franchise. I've been in contact with a close friend on the team to stay updated. Unfortunately soccer is a physical game and players do get injured. There was no intent on my side to cause any harm. I wish Daniela nothing but the speediest of recoveries. My thoughts and prayers are with her."
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from May 5, 2009
- Welcome Back Former Breaker Maren Meinert at May 17 Home Game Versus Freedom - Boston Breakers
- Bompastor named WPS Player of the Week, Wambach issues statement on Daniela injury - magicJack
- WPS Weekly - WPS
- Twelve players with national program ties added to Freedom's W-League roster - magicJack
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent magicJack Stories
- Washington Freedom Announces Sonia Bompastor's Mutual Contract Termination
- Jim Gabarra Resigns as Head Coach of Washington Freedom
- Washington Freedom's 2010 WPS Playoff Run Ends with Overtime Goal
- Washington Freedom Travel to Face Philadelphia Independence in First Round of Playoffs
- Washington Freedom Defeat Atlanta Beat 1-0 To Advance To WPS Playoffs